PDA

View Full Version : great quote? what u think?

mustapha marx
04-21-2008, 08:22 PM
"Call it the fault of civilization. God isnt compatible with mechinery and scientific medicine and teh universal happiness. You must make a choice."

-Mustapha Mond, chapter 17

i think that this is a very interesting thought, do we have to choose in life whether we want to devote ourselves to technology or to god? is it really possible for both to exist in harmony within the world we live in?

The Atheist
05-02-2008, 08:30 PM
I'll have a go at that one!

In BNW, the choice must be made, because any worship of anything other than the system itself will be seen as weakness.

In our world, there's no choosing involved, nor should there be. Science attempts to answer no questions on god/s, while religion and science have coexisted for centuries.

Sarasvati21
05-02-2008, 08:40 PM
While science/technology don't disallow belief in God, they don't encourage it, either. It is difficult to believe completely in God while also being a successful scientist.
Science, in its own way, is as much a religion as any other, and it can be difficult to practice two religions simultaneously.

mustapha marx
05-13-2008, 06:54 PM
so then in our world there will never be a time in the near or distant future where our society as a whole will give into either science or religion? because i think that if society continues as it is we will shy away from religion and embrace productivity and efficiency much like in BNW.

The Atheist
05-17-2008, 10:25 PM
so then in our world there will never be a time in the near or distant future where our society as a whole will give into either science or religion? because i think that if society continues as it is we will shy away from religion and embrace productivity and efficiency much like in BNW.

Can't see it happening. Religion keeps shifting the goalposts and always will, simply because there's no way science will ever disprove god/s.

B-Mental
05-17-2008, 10:29 PM
I personally don't know the answer. I lean much more towards the spiritual and less towards the technological. Its funny, but do we really need all of the technologies that are there in our everyday lives. Must we shut ourselves apart from each other by focusing on an electronic gadget? I say that sitting at work with 4 computers on my console. I would rather ride horses in the mountains and not see a phone for months on end.