PDA

View Full Version : How is Hamlet Isolated in claudius court?

huntress4eva
04-21-2008, 08:16 AM
I have a very long essay question which is basically about how Hamlet is Isolated in claudius court so far ive come up with these idea's:

Hamlet has isolated himself byfreigning madness and trust no one but horatio.
Claudius has isolated hamlet by getting his so called friend rosencratz and guildernstern to spy on hamlet.
Hamlet is isolated by his grieve and still wearing "Knighted colour" during claudius speech to court.

Other ideas greatly recieved.
(ps sorry for my appauling spelling im dyslexic)

Virgil
04-21-2008, 09:12 AM
Well, he does kill Polonius and it's obvious to Claudius that Hamlet is trying to kill him. He is a threat to the king.

mayneverhave
04-21-2008, 02:06 PM
Hamlet's isolation within the court is largely his own doing.
Despite the insistence of many of the play's characters to be more friendly and to act less strangely, Hamlet refuses to compromise his mystery and remains an enigma for the rest of the characters (and of course, the audience as well.)

Indeed, many of Hamlet's lines indicate a desire to remain mysterious. Often, he insists that there is something deeper inside of him than he is letting slip out in his speeches and actions - rarely do we feel he is telling the whole truth (even in his soliloquies).

Some examples of Hamlet's self imposed isolation from others include:

- But I have that within which passeth show;
These but the trappings and the suits of woe.
(Act 1, Scene 2)

- Why, look you now, how unworthy a thing you make of
me! You would play upon me; you would seem to know
my stops; you would pluck out the heart of my
mystery; you would sound me from my lowest note to
the top of my compass: and there is much music,
excellent voice, in this little organ; yet cannot
you make it speak. 'Sblood, do you think I am
easier to be played on than a pipe? Call me what
instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you
cannot play upon me.
(Act 3, Scene 2)

-Thou pray'st not well.
I prithee, take thy fingers from my throat;
For, though I am not splenitive and rash,
Yet have I something in me dangerous,
Which let thy wiseness fear: hold off thy hand.
(Act 5, Scene 1)

Was this of any help?

Lioness_Heart
04-21-2008, 04:48 PM
Even though Hamlet is already isolating himself at the very start - Shakespeare clearly emphasises it by his silent presence through most of the first court scene, as well as his dress and sarcastic comments, his isolation deepens after his meeting with the Ghost.

Perhaps you could research the concept of the tragic hero? Because Hamlet is to a large extent forced into this role by what he learns. The hero is often isolated from their society; is is this in part that leads to his downfall. (Understandably) Hamlet is unable to fit into Court life after learning about his father's murder; despite the recurrent theme of play-acting, Hamlet seems to me to be deep down a character who must be true to himself - in his soliloquys, we catch a glimpse of the true Hamlet.

Perhaps you could also consider the corruption of the Court (as represented by the description of the father's murder, with the King being likened to the country, and of course the belief in the Divine Right of Kings). This corruption does not sit easy with Hamlet - perhaps it is the corrupt microcosm of the court that is isolating him?

Sorry, this is probably mostly garbled and may make no sense... I need to go to bed...

huntress4eva
04-23-2008, 05:45 AM
Thanks to everyone for there replys!! much appreciated.
all good point
Lioness heart your point helps both in my hamlet essay but is valid for my othello one to thanks for that

Any1there4me
07-20-2008, 04:42 PM
Like the others have shown, there are many things that isolate Hamlet. A huge one I haven't seen mentioned, however, is the fact he is Denmark's prince: there are expectations of him, from the people, from Claudius' court, and the rest of the known world (at that time, of course). With his status of royalty, he may do so many things, but there is always the problem that he's in the spotlight and has to monitor his actions.

He's limited in what he can do in his world.