PDA

View Full Version : Teaching Literature

SnipSnap
04-20-2008, 12:25 AM
For seven years now, I have taught a developmental freshman english class, an honor's sophomore class, and an english lit class. I have had fairly good luck with them so far, but I would like to try some new things, and maybe see how I can improve the required reading for my students. I have supplied my current english curriculum [barring grammar], and would appreciate feedback on what to do less of, and more of. Thank you very much in advance.

For the developmental Freshmen:

-The short stories of Poe
-Oedipus Rex (Translation by Rex Warner)
-Of Mice and Men
-Romeo and Juliet
-Adventures of Huck Finn

For the Honors Sophomores:

-Madame Bovary
-A Tale of Two Cities
-Anthem
-Coriolanus
-Julius Caesar
-Count of Monte Cristo
-All Quiet on the Western Front

And for English Lit:

-The Cantebury Tales
-Hamlet
-Paradise Lost
-Gulliver's Travels
-Pride and Prejudice
-Great Expectations
-Pygmalion
-Heart of Darkness

I've taught these classes for 7 years now, and I've done considerably well with them, but I'm thinking about trying new things next year, so I would really appreciate your help.

Il Penseroso
04-20-2008, 01:27 PM
lyrical poetry seems to be missing. None of the Romantic poets for English lit?

SnipSnap
04-20-2008, 02:48 PM
Yes, but I don't teach it as an actual unit. I give them three or four important poems a week to talk about, and then we take a quiz on them every friday. I am thinking of talking about the major poets slightly more in-depth. The hardest piece to teach in english lit is pygmalion, and since it's not entirely important, I'm thinking of putting Romantic poets in its place. Slightly out of order timewise, but I can manage that issue when I come to it.

byquist
04-22-2008, 11:56 PM
Coriolanus for 10th graders should be demanding! Very interesting choice, not the usual. Richard Burton (I heard it on record but it probably is on casset) does a really rip-roaring job of it; makes the play come alive.

SnipSnap
04-23-2008, 08:15 AM
It is very demanding for the students.

However, if they was regular level sophomores, I would never dream of teaching it them; and they've already been introduced thoroughly to Shakespeare in 8th and 9th grades, so I felt that a more obscure play would be fitting, especially one that is very comparable to Julius Caesar, since we read that next.

I have heard Richard Burton's version of it, and must agree it is fantastic.

Thank you all for you comments.

nacreous
05-01-2008, 05:11 PM
I dont understand. You have an excellent choice of books at all levels. Particularly interesting were those for the first-level freshmen. Very compelling literature there. Why change anything about the book list? You are comfortable with it, as you say, and you already have those copies needed. Instead of changing the reading list, why not change another aspect of the teaching process.
Do you involve the students in their own writing works at all, or do you limit the class to the reading only? Why not start some writing workshops in class, perhaps in small groups of 3 or 4? The students could base stories on the readings, or fly off on various tangents. I find more interest in reading from a group of aspiring writers.
just a thought.

Shannanigan
05-19-2009, 12:39 PM
My English Lit students love Beowulf, but it just may be because I personally love it and love teaching it so much. I also teach Anglo-Saxon poetry, Medieval Ballads, Shakespeare's sonnets, and we do Macbeth since it's the shortest Shakesperean play, and these kids have S-H-O-R-T attention spans (espeicially with block scheduling!). My students are in 12th grade, so I let them watch "Macbeth Puppet Pals," when we finish the play. It's a funny, 5-minute version of Macbeth just a Google search away...

myrna22
01-29-2010, 06:22 PM
For seven years now, I have taught a developmental freshman english class, an honor's sophomore class, and an english lit class. I have had fairly good luck with them so far, but I would like to try some new things, and maybe see how I can improve the required reading for my students. I have supplied my current english curriculum [barring grammar], and would appreciate feedback on what to do less of, and more of. Thank you very much in advance.

For the developmental Freshmen:

-The short stories of Poe
-Oedipus Rex (Translation by Rex Warner)
-Of Mice and Men
-Romeo and Juliet
-Adventures of Huck Finn

For the Honors Sophomores:

-Madame Bovary
-A Tale of Two Cities
-Anthem
-Coriolanus
-Julius Caesar
-Count of Monte Cristo
-All Quiet on the Western Front

And for English Lit:

-The Cantebury Tales
-Hamlet
-Paradise Lost
-Gulliver's Travels
-Pride and Prejudice
-Great Expectations
-Pygmalion
-Heart of Darkness

I've taught these classes for 7 years now, and I've done considerably well with them, but I'm thinking about trying new things next year, so I would really appreciate your help.

The most modern movel on your reading list is OF MICE AND MEN. Have you thought of adding some more modern things? The only short stories you have are of Poe. I would look for some novels and short stories which are more modern. These are all classics, so maybe keep about half of them and make the rest of the reading list from the second half of the 20th century.

Some suggestions, most published 2nd half of 20th century:

The Crucible
In Cold Blood
The House of the Spirits
What We Talk About When We Talk About Love (short stories by Raymond Carver)
A Streetcar Named Desire
Lord of the Flies
Metamorphosis
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
To Kill a Mockingbird
Nine Stories (JD Salinger)
One Flew Over the Cuckoos’ Next
Catch 22
Death of a Salesman

Katy North
02-03-2010, 08:35 PM
As an 11th grader in British lit, my teacher had us write a paper about a novel we selected and read ourselves. Perhaps instead of including another unit, a project such as that one would suffice (especially in the honor's class)? In that way the students can choose a book that matches their interests. I think your reading list looks great as it is.

myrna22
02-06-2010, 01:01 AM
how I can improve the required reading for my students One way to do this might be reading circles. In addition to the suggestion above, which is to have them do outside reading. The more students read, the more they will improve their reading level.