PDA

View Full Version : Eveline

Dark Muse
04-18-2008, 04:10 PM
I have to be honest, overall I cannot say I really care for Joyce, though I have not read a great deal from him, what I have read for the most part just did not impress me. Though I do not want to be mistaken, I resepct his talent as a writer, and do not deny he has a genious use of langauge but the style in which he writes just does not speak to me. I often find it difficult to connect to his characters which makes reading his books difficult for me, if I am really not invested in the characters and really don't care about thier exeprinces or what happens to them.

But with that being said I just finnnished reading Eveline, and it is the first of his stories thus far that really moved me. There was just something about this story, that I truly absolutely loved. I thought it was a beautiful though sad tale, and I could really feel it.

blazeofglory
04-18-2008, 11:38 PM
I have to be honest, overall I cannot say I really care for Joyce, though I have not read a great deal from him, what I have read for the most part just did not impress me. Though I do not want to be mistaken, I resepct his talent as a writer, and do not deny he has a genious use of langauge but the style in which he writes just does not speak to me. I often find it difficult to connect to his characters which makes reading his books difficult for me, if I am really not invested in the characters and really don't care about thier exeprinces or what happens to them.

But with that being said I just finnnished reading Eveline, and it is the first of his stories thus far that really moved me. There was just something about this story, that I truly absolutely loved. I thought it was a beautiful though sad tale, and I could really feel it.

I read, at least made vain efforts to read Joyce.
I know he had talents, linguistic, stylistic, intellectual and all.
I revere him but he seems incomprehensible.
He used too many words, very big words, and one needs to rote all.
I therefore reckon his writings unworthy of reading.

Now I think since there is a choice of books, a thousand and one to choose from. Why to run to pedantic rubbishes.
He is dead. Very few choose to read him save the academics.

Dark Muse
04-19-2008, 12:09 AM
Well I read a very wide spectrum of things both old and new, both genuis and mediocre. When it comes to books I am really very open.

But Joyce I have read/am reading for sort of a twofold reason. One, a while back one of my teachers gave me this listed printed from a magazine of what are garded to be the 100 best books of the 20th century, and I made it my goal to read everything on that list and it has thus far intruduced me to some wonderful books I porbably would not have otherwise been exposed to, and some of Joyce is listed.

And we are now currently doing Joyce in one of my classes this quarter.

blazeofglory
04-19-2008, 04:06 AM
Well I read a very wide spectrum of things both old and new, both genuis and mediocre. When it comes to books I am really very open.

But Joyce I have read/am reading for sort of a twofold reason. One, a while back one of my teachers gave me this listed printed from a magazine of what are garded to be the 100 best books of the 20th century, and I made it my goal to read everything on that list and it has thus far intruduced me to some wonderful books I porbably would not have otherwise been exposed to, and some of Joyce is listed.

And we are now currently doing Joyce in one of my classes this quarter.

He fits in a classroom course and not outside it, for everyone puts down the book after going through several pages.

I do not know why how he was rated so high. As a matter of fact one can be artistically good by being simple and one need not use bambastic words.

I do not suggest any one to read his book.

I wonder why Derrida admired his works. There no thing significant to be so appreciative about it.

Jeremiah Jazzz
02-09-2009, 08:06 PM
James Joyce barely fits into a classroom. His words are meant to open doors to new insights and explorations into whatever the current topic is. He is definitely not a writer for everyone which is a shame, because frankly put, they're missing out. I'd hate to have Joyce represented by his short stories because they are incredibly weak compared to his later works.
So yes, even if you don't think so, Joyce fits well, extremely well in the realm outside of the classroom.

Dark Muse
02-09-2009, 08:15 PM
Personally I enjoy his short stories more then what I have read of his novels. I will take the collection in The Dead over Portrait of an Artist anyday.

Jeremiah Jazzz
02-09-2009, 08:25 PM
hehe I understand what you're saying. My comment was more to the fellow above me than yourself!

apyoung6060
05-28-2009, 07:37 PM
Everybody's hero is someone else's bore.