PDA

View Full Version : Jane Eyre theme

mizmiri
04-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Hi guys! i'm a newbie, so bear with me, thanks, lol. :)

I'm writing a research paper about Jane Eyre, and I was thinking about including the idea that Jane Eyre is one of the first in the beginning of a long line of literature, film, and other entertainment, that used the idea of the female underdog. After all, Jane starts out as a poor orphan girl, and while things don't go her way for a long time, eventually she wins out, winning the heart of the man she loves and becoming rich, yet keeping her dignity all along. I mean, Mr. Rochester probably never thought he'd marry a governess, but he fell for her. I was watching The Sound of Music the other night, and I couldn't help but realize the similarities between that and Jane Eyre. Ignoring the obvious--both Jane and Maria were governesses, Mr. Rochester and the Captain were both rich, high-class men--I believe the underlying theme was the idea of the underdog coming out on top, like it happens so often in literature. However, Jane Eyre was written during a time when female authors were not regarded highly or taken seriously, which I think contributes to the idea that Jane Eyre may have been a subtle catalyst for the idea of the female underdog. I'm looking for insights. Any thoughts?

Thanks again.