PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce "Alyosha"?

Wes Duckett
04-11-2008, 04:36 PM
Hi, I'm new here, having done a Google search for a clue on how to pronounce Karamazov. I need some more help. I love the Bs K, but those Russian names tie my tongue in knots. How should I pronounce "Alyosha"?

My first guess is "ah LYE oh SHA". Which sounds rather close to Elisha. Any help, anyone?

I really love it here. Thanks, you guys, for the welcome.

RJbibliophil
04-11-2008, 04:37 PM
Welcome! :wave: I do not know, but there is surely someone around here who knows. Why not try asking in the appropriate forum dedicated to that author?

Wes Duckett
04-11-2008, 06:49 PM
Thanks RJ. It will take me a while to learn my around.

Remarkable
04-13-2008, 07:33 AM
"Alyosha" is pronounced just the way you read it,with the exeption of the "y" that you read as an "i" at "irresistible".

aeroport
04-14-2008, 02:37 AM
The Pevear and Volokhonsky translations include a list of pronunciations at the beginning: they have "Alyosha" - three syllables, I think.

near a sunset
05-31-2008, 09:29 AM
Actually it's not difficult to sound "Alyosha", but it's rather difficult to explain. In Russian this word looks like "Алёша" and there are three syllables А-лё-ша. So in English it is the same - A-loy-sha. The 1st syllable "A" - Russian "a" always sounds as "a" in word "car". The second "lyo" consists from 2 sounds - [l] - like "l" in word "alien" and [o]. And the 3d one "sha" - I think it's clear how to pronounce it))

wat??
02-28-2009, 12:11 AM
I skip between AL-EE-O-Sha and A-LOY-SHA in my head whenever I am reading TBK.

bazarov
02-28-2009, 05:23 AM
Actually it's not difficult to sound "Alyosha", but it's rather difficult to explain. In Russian this word looks like "Алёша" and there are three syllables А-лё-ша. So in English it is the same - A-loy-sha. The 1st syllable "A" - Russian "a" always sounds as "a" in word "car". The second "lyo" consists from 2 sounds - [l] - like "l" in word "alien" and [o]. And the 3d one "sha" - I think it's clear how to pronounce it))

A-lyo-sha

I skip between AL-EE-O-Sha and A-LOY-SHA in my head whenever I am reading TBK.

How did you get LOY? :D

A - like a in car
lyo - l is normal, yo like yoyo
sha - like in shut up

Mathor
03-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Al-EE-O-SHA

Luis
01-10-2012, 09:30 AM
It is pronounced AL-O-SHA

the "Y" is almost silent, and if you don't speak Russian it's fine to treat it as silent

it is not AL-EE-O-SHA - it's just three syllables, not four