PDA

View Full Version : Need help on tempest!

Rhys.M
04-05-2008, 05:05 PM
Hi, i need a bit of help on my essay on the tempest. one of the questions is ' what is shakespeares reflection on colonisation/cannibals?

if anyone can help, please reply!

thanks alot!

Rhys

xxSilhouettexx
04-15-2008, 06:41 PM
here's some idea on SparkNotes:

The Allure of Ruling a Colony

The tone of the play, however, toward the hopes of the would-be colonizers is vexed at best. Gonzalo’s utopian vision in Act II, scene i is undercut by a sharp retort from the usually foolish Sebastian and Antonio. When Gonzalo says that there would be no commerce or work or “sovereignty” in his society, Sebastian replies, “yet he would be king on’t,” and Antonio adds, “The latter end of his commonwealth forgets the beginning” (II.i.156–157). Gonzalo’s fantasy thus involves him ruling the island while seeming not to rule it, and in this he becomes a kind of parody of Prospero.

While there are many representatives of the colonial impulse in the play, the colonized have only one representative: Caliban. We might develop sympathy for him at first, when Prospero seeks him out merely to abuse him, and when we see him tormented by spirits. However, this sympathy is made more difficult by his willingness to abase himself before Stefano in Act II, scene ii. Even as Caliban plots to kill one colonial master (Prospero) in Act III, scene ii, he sets up another (Stefano). The urge to rule and the urge to be ruled seem inextricably intertwined.

http://www.sparknotes.com/shakespeare/tempest/themes.html

Hope it helps,