PDA

View Full Version : When we stand at great heights...

BoundinX
04-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Someone told me that the quotation "when we stand at great heights, our greatest fear is not that we will fall, but that we will jump" was said by Nieztsche. However, I can't find this in any archives of his sayings, and it's not anywhere on the internet! (Not word for word, of course.) Does anyone know who said it? Or if it really was him?
Thanks!

MikeK
04-29-2008, 05:13 PM
"They say that people standing on an altitude somehow gravitate of their own accord downwards, into the abyss. I think that many suicides and murders have been committed simply because the revolver had already been taken in hand. That is also an abyss, it's a forty-five degree inclined plane which one has no choice but to slide down, and something invincibly causes you to pull the trigger."

This is from the narrator of Dostoevsky's "A Gentle Creature" (also translated as "A Meek One"). It's an allusion that - just from memory - I'm sure Dostoevsky used a few times in his writings; of the man standing on the edge of the abyss.

It's also a symbol that Kierkegaard used in his writings. I can't speak to Nietzsche since I haven't read any more than some short passages of what he wrote, but I know that he was a reader of Dostoevsky and I believe also a reader of Kierkegaard.