PDA

View Full Version : Bible Quote in movies

subterranean
11-08-2004, 08:59 PM
Here's one in one of my all time fav movies Pulp Fiction :

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother’s keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you." (Ezekiel )

Jay
11-09-2004, 11:08 AM
There's a movie full of Bible quotations... uhmm... that one with Christopher Lambert... can't remember the name. That was a good movie showing what people could be like, not saying all people who believe are like that. Would never dare, would be lynched ;). Anyone who's seen it and can remember the name?

papayahed
11-09-2004, 11:13 AM
Here's one in one of my all time fav movies Pulp Fiction :

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother’s keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you." (Ezekiel )

That's my favorite part of the movie!!! Every time I listen to the soundtrack I get a chuckle out of it.

Let's see can't think of too many others, ok any others at the moment.

mono
11-09-2004, 03:16 PM

I could hear Samuel L. Jackson's voice throughout the whole quote, rather than a preacher's.
Another movie that strangely and inevitably has Bible quotes and references is one called Dogma, presented in the oddest and most hilarious way.

trismegistus
11-09-2004, 10:08 PM
I could hear Samuel L. Jackson's voice throughout the whole quote, rather than a preacher's.
Samuel Jackson IS a preacher ... or any other damned thing he wants to be.

Isagel
11-10-2004, 03:46 AM
My favorite - but not as impressive bible qoute is when Ulysseus tries to tell his friends to "Consider the lilies... " in "Oh, brother where art thou?"

Another more dramatic one is a a qoute in a Johnny Cash lyric ( the song The man comes around) that opens the movie Dawn of the dead . Johnny Cash reads the lines from Revelation:
6:7 And when he had opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth beast say, Come and see.
6:8 And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him

That sends shivers down my spine.

subterranean
11-10-2004, 05:19 AM
Indeed :nod:

simon
11-10-2004, 01:36 PM
Pulp fiction, though entertaining didn't seem to be much more than another movie with sharp and witting language. It tried to dish out substance, but ended up lacking in profundity.

crisaor
11-10-2004, 04:02 PM
Pulp fiction lacking in profundity????????? :confused:
I'm curious as to what movies you consider to be profund...

subterranean
11-10-2004, 09:13 PM
Regarding the quote from Pulp Fiction, when Samuel L. Jackson quoted that, He said Ezekiel 25:17, yet we all know that His intention was just babling since Ezekiel 25:17 doesn't contain those words

subterranean
11-10-2004, 09:23 PM
I remember another quote. It's from this movie called The Closer. Not really a wellknown one. It's about a wealthy man with only one intention in life, Money. In the end, though maintain as a darn wealthy man, he lost all his children

The quote is something from Matthew I guess:
"What doth it profit a man if he gains the who world and loses his own soul? "

Isagel
11-11-2004, 03:29 AM
Regarding the quote from Pulp Fiction, when Samuel L. Jackson quoted that, He said Ezekiel 25:17, yet we all know that His intention was just babling since Ezekiel 25:17 doesn't contain those words

I had no idea. You are right. This is Ezekiel

25:17 And I will execute great vengeance upon them with furious rebukes; and they shall know that I am the LORD, when I shall lay my vengeance upon them.

But I can´t find the rest of the part he reads.

subterranean
11-11-2004, 03:39 AM
Yea..I suppose we should ask Mr. Tarantino ;)

papayahed
11-11-2004, 09:52 AM
There was a movie called the Seventh Seal (I think) with Demi Moore. I remember it being chock full of bible quotes as it had to do with the end of the world and the book of revelations.

Jay
11-11-2004, 08:31 PM
There's also a Schwarzenegger 'end of the world' movie, just can't remember the name, again... *hopes the guy playing in the movie was Schwarzenegger, it's been aaaaaages ago, lol*

subterranean
11-11-2004, 08:45 PM
it's "End of Days" Jay..;)

SuicideKitten
12-15-2004, 06:42 PM
Pulp Fiction...
let's see if i can remember it.

subterranean
12-15-2004, 08:03 PM
the movie or the biblical quote in the movie?