PDA

View Full Version : Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Sir Bartholomew
03-14-2008, 11:03 PM
This title cannot be more appropriate. Elinor stands for "sense" and Marianne represents "sensibility" and so and so; but learn that the sisters do or can acquire both virtues and so and so. This we witness as both were jilted by their prospects and we know the drill. We can never be satisfied if the girls were happily married. How the novel ended is beyond my perception of plausibility. I always feel as if Austen wants to dictate to her readers that this will happen to you if behave like Marianne Dashwood. The word "exertion" appears like mantra, as if it's a sign of the author's knowing wink. Of course we can always take this advice, but it's the author's (and Elinor's) know it all attitude that bothers. Obviously in this novel she's making fun of a particular genre. We see her distaste for the "cult of sensibility" and her knack of making fun of it. It is not the love stories that she's vying for our attention but on how her characters react to something.

Among the Dashwoods, Austen also sets contrasts on the minor characters. The good humor of Mrs. Palmer and Sir John are pitted against their respective partners. Mrs. Jennings can be amiable but she's too vulgar. Austen can't help but roll her eyes as to the Steele's exaggerated praise of Lady Middleton's children. Austen reminds us that no one can be true to themselves either way. But it's the character of John Dashwood that bothered me most. To me he's the most honest creature of the bunch. He's sincerely true to what he says. Reading his speeches makes me think of a horny pimp, treating his half sisters as rotting commodities. His talk with his wife is too chilling to mention.

As for the novel as a whole, I see it as an inferior to Austen's other novels, but it has merits of its own nevertheless. The book can be appreciated if you’re jaded but I found it boring; too stiff for its own good. Some scenes can be done without. I didn't like what the author was trying to say in the end.

JBI
03-15-2008, 01:36 AM
Critically regarded as one of her weakest works, I tend to agree, being that she is unsure which character is more preferred, the authentic or the sincere.

amalia1985
03-15-2008, 04:00 PM
I agree with you. I like it very much, but it is certainly weaker, if we compare it to "Pride and Prejudice", for example.

Nossa
03-22-2008, 12:44 PM
It's a good novel, was my first Austen read. It's not, however, my favorite of her works. I agree that it's weaker than Pride and Prejudice or Persuasion for instance, but it's probably cuz it was an earlier novel. Though the time span between all her novels isn't large, she matured and formed a solid style of writing in her later novels.

Drkshadow03
03-22-2008, 09:27 PM
Interesting, Sense and Sensibility was my second favorite Austen novel. Pride and Prejudice is my first. But I did like S&S better than Persuasion. It's also a lot better than Northanger Abbey. I do like it a little better than Mansfield Park too.

Hmm, to be fair I haven't read Emma or Austen's juvenalia.

tinustijger
06-02-2008, 04:11 PM
Ì think Pride & Prejudice and Sense & Sensibility are two very different books, S&S is more of a drama, P&P more like a comedy. I liked S&S better, not for any particular reason, it was just a gripping book, nice subtle jokes and everything. P&P was more obvious.

Well, it's been a while since I read them, so I can be totally wrong.