PDA

View Full Version : Here's a quote I made. It's very insightful

Seahawker
03-13-2008, 09:56 PM
"Incessant disregard is not a respite from the real world. But rather, a harbinger of internal corruption and mental collapsing." - Anthony H

Beautifull
05-10-2008, 11:25 PM
can you...explain?

Statistic
05-30-2008, 09:35 AM
Um... does that mean "apathy is a sign of mental illness"?

jgweed
05-30-2008, 10:57 AM
And what is this quotation from? Don't you mean perhaps aphorism? It would be much stronger with a semi-colon between the first sentence and the fragmentary second.

jaywalker
06-07-2008, 08:09 AM
One of mine, ''It's not the destination that's important but the journey or Vice-Versa.''

kelby_lake
06-07-2008, 03:36 PM
Insanity is like sanity. Sanity's just insanity outdoors.

kandaurov
06-08-2008, 10:56 AM
Two pieces of advice, take them or lump them

Golden Rule #1: in the same wavelenght of 'never laugh at your own jokes', never boast about your own "insightfulness";
Golden Rule #2: big words don't make great aphorisms. Though I didn't see it before, maybe you have worsened it after editing it in order to add "better words".

Also, I didn't get the message you're trying to get across, but I didn't add an advice related to that because maybe it's just me.

Remarkable
06-24-2008, 01:50 PM
Two pieces of advice, take them or lump them

Golden Rule #1: in the same wavelenght of 'never laugh at your own jokes', never boast about your own "insightfulness";
Golden Rule #2: big words don't make great aphorisms. Though I didn't see it before, maybe you have worsened it after editing it in order to add "better words".

Also, I didn't get the message you're trying to get across, but I didn't add an advice related to that because maybe it's just me.

I was about to make the same point.

One can talk about their insightfulness only when one is a great writer/songwriter/proffessor/philosopher,in short,someone who has made his/her own name and can allow oneself some little eccentricities.However,one shouldn't follow any social clichees and not be aware of their own insightfulness(if it exists)but if that person wants to have to do with others,than these others will decide if it is really "deep",however few they are.In the end,everything is relative.

In short,I didn't understand a word of your "quote"...And I am said to be good in English...(not boasting here,since it's not my saying...)

jaywalker
06-26-2008, 10:36 AM
The Golden Rule = Those with the Gold Rule.
Written on a wall in Ausberg in 1917.
''We are not fighting for the Fatherland,
We are not fighting for god,
We are fighting for the Rich
And killing the poor.''

aeroport
06-26-2008, 11:22 AM
Haha! I get it! :lol: insightful

Dori
06-26-2008, 03:08 PM
Hmmm...though I understood the quote (or at least I think I did), I didn't think it was that insightful. You could have just as easily said "Laziness breeds stupidity" (or perhaps "Constant disregard makes one dumb and corrupt") And that's an obvious statement if I've ever heard one.

Oh and I believe your second "sentence" is not a sentence at all; it is a fragment.

aeroport
06-26-2008, 10:53 PM
"Quote" is a verb!

Dori
06-26-2008, 11:10 PM
"Quote" is a verb!

Semantics...:p

Shya
06-29-2008, 08:50 AM
Uh... I didn't get the quote at all....

Well, I think that being simple in making your own quotes is the best, because you should always remember that it's the idea you're looking for, not the big words. And if you write with simple language, then even children will be able to understand you. Children like me.

For example, take the Chinese proverb: "Seek not to be like the rarest jade, nor like the common stone." Says a lot in simple words. And the message is felt more deeply because of it. (And yes, I'm Chinese. :D)

Mr. Vandemar
07-03-2008, 05:18 AM
I am going to rant about my greatest pet-peeve: self proclaimed intelligence. There is nothing more ridiculously pretentious and ANNOYING than someone trying to label themselves with something intelligent or artistic. If you feel the need to label yourself or describe yourself with UNNECESSARY adjectives you are clearly not intelligent or artistic enough to be asserted that you are as you claim. Besides, if you were really so _____ would you need to mention it? Ha, I highly doubt it. Shouldn't somebody else do it for you?

Thanks for letting me get that off of my chest. I saw a flicker of that attitude in your post, perhaps that's not you but I certainly hate people like that. Please take no offense.

CathyEarnshaw
08-17-2008, 10:13 PM
Although I'm not sure I understood your quote, I didn't take your self-proclaimed insight offensively. I read it with a little humor.

the_black_skye
08-29-2008, 02:27 AM
Here Here.

Like_Herod
12-27-2008, 03:22 PM
I can see this thread is long since dead, but having read it, I was put in mind of a Plato quotation that seems apt:

"As empty vessels make the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest blabbers"

Mr. Vandemar
12-27-2008, 07:55 PM
I really like that quote, Herod.