PDA

View Full Version : quote help

Stanislaw
11-03-2004, 05:55 PM
I know I sound like a total hypocrate by posting this but...

Do any of you guys know where I could find some good science, english, math, social quotes.

If you have any or know where I could find them I would greatly apreciate your help.

btw it is for lesson plans, not for homework, ;)

seeker
11-03-2004, 07:14 PM
haha same diference! no pity for teachers!

Scheherazade
11-04-2004, 03:14 AM
haha same diference! no pity for teachers!

*laughs IRL* Hey cut us some slack! We paid our due as students now we can cut, copy, paste all we want ;)

Stanislaw:

You can try this site maybe. It helped me in the past:

http://www.quotationspage.com/

By the way, you are a teacher?? I had pictured you as a university student some how! :)

Stanislaw
11-04-2004, 11:29 AM
Well I am a university student, but I teach computer seesions on saturdays, and every second sunday I run a homework tutoring/concept teaching program for children who have recently imigrated, I am working toward my ed degree in university right now though.

Scheherazade
11-04-2004, 12:24 PM
the concept teaching program sounds interesting... What are you concentrating on during those sessions?

Good luck with the degree, btw. I am sure you will make a good teacher :)

crisaor
11-04-2004, 03:03 PM
Stan, you mentioned something about compiling economic quotes in the past. Is this the same project? Could you detail it a little more?

Stanislaw
11-05-2004, 11:21 AM
the concept teaching program sounds interesting... What are you concentrating on during those sessions?

Mainly mathematics and general sciences, but we do do classes on social history aswell as english work. For example help with poetry analysis, grammer and the commonly asked questions in school.

Stan, you mentioned something about compiling economic quotes in the past. Is this the same project? Could you detail it a little more?

This is actually a different project, the economic project is still in the works. I am still revising and editing. This is for lesson plans (to spice them up a bit) and for handouts. We are focusing on how to incoperate quotations into prose right now, and I like to try and start each lesson off with something a little off topic, that can lead into the area of focus.

Thanks for the replies.:)

Bongitybongbong
11-05-2004, 09:53 PM
If someons offends you and you don't know if it was intentual or not, don't take matters extremly. Watch you're time and hit them with a brick.- Mark Twain (the quote night not be in verbatim)

Stanislaw
11-07-2004, 07:24 PM
Was that something he said, or is it out of one of his texts?

Isagel
11-09-2004, 03:55 PM
I just discovered the qoute function on this site.
Do! I feel stupid!
Has anyone else missed it?

amuse
11-09-2004, 06:30 PM
the what????

that would be a yes :p

Stanislaw
11-09-2004, 06:43 PM
The one in the lower right hand corner of every reply?

Isagel
11-10-2004, 03:33 AM
Nope.

http://www.online-literature.com/quotes/quotations.php

Here you can search qoutes by specific authors, but you can also type a word - like mathematics or science and get nice qoutes on the subject.

I wonder if I can search for quotes on pirates?

Isagel
11-10-2004, 03:35 AM
Oh yes I could - this ought to fit your lessons, Stanislaw :

Author: Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
Merchant and pirate were for a long period one and the same person. Even today mercantile morality is really nothing but a refinement of piratical morality.
Maxims.

Aye.

subterranean
11-10-2004, 06:17 AM
Nope.

http://www.online-literature.com/quotes/quotations.php

Here you can search qoutes by specific authors, but you can also type a word - like mathematics or science and get nice qoutes on the subject.

I wonder if I can search for quotes on pirates?

i have realized that since the first time i got here ;)..however i searched thru the interenet for Orwell's works, yet i didnt realize that the author's works are included in this site :blush:...i mean it's like trying to find some salt without looking first in your kitchen ;)

Stanislaw
11-10-2004, 11:21 AM
thanks for the help, the quotations are quite usefull!

my English teacher would kill me if she had heard me using the word "quotes"

silly me. :cold:

Scheherazade
11-10-2004, 11:40 AM
What's wrong with the word 'quote'?

Stanislaw
11-10-2004, 11:42 AM
She told me that a persone can quote something, but it is a quotation.

Scheherazade
11-10-2004, 11:50 AM
It is a noun too as far as I am aware...

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=67&q=quote

Stanislaw
11-10-2004, 12:59 PM
I think she was using it as its verb form.