PDA

View Full Version : A question about the Scottish play

E.Kant
03-05-2008, 05:11 PM
Hi everyone !

I'm working on a MCPQ about the Scottish play (whose name must not be quoted, as you know... ) by Will Shakespeare and I found myself quite at a loss with one of the questions .

Elizabethan English is not really my cup of tea :crash: , that's why I submit it to you .

Here's the question :

The statement of Lord Caithness that the Scottish Thane «cannot buckle his distemper'd cause Within the belt of rule» (actV, scene IV) means that :

A-his forces are disorganized and beyond his control .
B-He is furious because his soldiers disobey orders .
C-He will have to surrender to the legitimate government .

(Personally , I'd answer A)

Could you please help me understand this weird statement ?

Thank you in advance !:)

Il Penseroso
03-05-2008, 05:59 PM
I would answer C, partly due to the circumstances of the quote. First off, distempered implies sickly, not wholesome, or bad. Macbeth's rule has caused nothing but bloodshed, and if I do remember correctly there are several references to the dismal environment under Macbeth's rule. This is due to the fact that Macbeth's rule, according to Lord Caithness, is not supported by a proper foundation for rules. I think in this case that "rule" means control and order, with implications of justice.

this is just my interpretation.

good luck!!

Gladys
03-06-2008, 02:58 AM
...cannot buckle his distemper'd cause Within the belt of rule (act V, scene II)

I would paraphrase it thus:

With Scotland in disarray, Macbeth cannot coordinate, motivate and regiment all the resources and force available to him because, although king, he has lost legitimacy, respect and authority within his kingdom.

This is almost answer A.

E.Kant
03-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Thank you both Gladys and Il Penseroso ! ;)
Your advises have come in handy , really .