PDA

View Full Version : Pink Floyd and T.S. ELiot

cole524
03-05-2008, 02:47 PM
Hi, This is my first post. I'm doing a reasearch project and presentation on The Wasteland. There is SOOOO much information that I am having a really difficult time organizing it all!! I was wondering if anyone had ever done any research on Eliot's connection with Pink Floyd? There are several things about the Wateland, alone that remind me of Pink Floyd's music, and when I looked it up on the net, I found that Eliot actually wrote the preface to a book entitled "Dark Side of the Moon." Interesting, huh?

RowJimmy
12-16-2008, 10:46 PM
That is interesting. Prufrock is quoted in the Grateful Dead's "Stella Blue" with "I've stayed in every blue-light cheap hotel" and to a lesser extent in "Dark Star" with "Shall we go you and I while we can?".

Chris Marie
03-12-2009, 08:13 PM
I don"t know about Pink Floyd but there is a "WHO" song -"Baba O'Reilly" that talks about the wasteland. "Teenage wasteland-it's only teenage wateland/they're all wasted". TSE uses the word "synthetic" in his Wasteland poem-PF's music is definitely synthetic.

Virgil
03-12-2009, 09:15 PM
I do not think that The Who's use of the phrase "teenage wasteland" relates in any way to TS Eliot's The Wasteland. They just happen to be using the same word. But I've used that word too

Janine
03-12-2009, 09:36 PM
cole, I love Pink Floyd, but actually never read "The Wasteland". If you come up with more connections to the group's songs let me know. I always find this interesting about rock groups, their tapping into literary works for inspiration. I just heard this fact -that in reality, there is no 'dark side' of the moon. Intersting, isn't it?

cole, welcome to the forum also!

Virgil
03-12-2009, 09:47 PM
cole, I love Pink Floyd, but actually never read "The Wasteland". If you come up with more connections to the group's songs let me know. I always find this interesting about rock groups, their tapping into literary works for inspiration. I just heard this fact -that in reality, there is no 'dark side' of the moon. Intersting, isn't it?

cole, welcome to the forum also!

Janine, cole was here a year ago and that was his only post. I don't think he's coming back. ;)

JBI
03-12-2009, 10:37 PM
The Waste Land and pink Floyd are very different - perhaps they read him, he died before they came to fame, so I think it is safe to say the Waste Land wasn't influenced by them.

Janine
03-22-2009, 03:45 PM
Janine, cole was here a year ago and that was his only post. I don't think he's coming back. ;)

Hahah...why do you always call me out on this shortsightedness of mine, Virgil? I guess I hate to give up on anyone and who knows- they just might return someday...:lol: