PDA

View Full Version : Kenneth Branagh adaptation?

Kent Edwins
03-03-2008, 02:53 AM
Did anyone see the Kenneth Branagh adaptation of As You Like it on HBO last semester? What is the general consensus? Personally, I thought it was excellent. However, I have not read the original play...

kelby_lake
07-25-2010, 11:11 AM
I thought setting it in 19th century Japan was pointless. It made it look nice- was it to cover up the fact that there was no plot?
The play might be funny with an all-male cast; it's not that funny with men and women.

Janine
07-25-2010, 11:07 PM
Hi Kent. I saw it and even own it since I collect all things Branagh. However, I was a little disappointed in some aspects of this film first time watching it. I do think it's a silly plot but most of Shakespeare's comedies are on the lightside. I didn't mind it being set in Japan; it made for some stunning scenes. I just felt it was lacking in someway; and that says a lot, I being a huge Branagh fan. A second viewing helped me to understand it better and appreciate it a little more. I guess I prefer his earlier Shakespeare films, such as "Much Ado About Nothing" and even is fun musical version of "Love's Labours Lost". I adore his "Henry V" and "Hamlet" and have viewed them probably 25 times at least, by now. I guess one of the big things missing from this S newest film is Ken himself. I am glad to see him acting again in his "Wallander" series and also he was quite good in "Valkayrie". I am hoping someday he plays "Macbeth" or "King Lear".

L.M. The Third
07-25-2010, 11:26 PM
I am hoping someday he plays "Macbeth" or "King Lear".

You're hoping he plays the character, or does a film of it? As a friend of mine noted, he's already played Edgar and The Fool. So maybe it should be Lear next.

Janine
07-26-2010, 12:07 AM
You're hoping he plays the character, or does a film of it? As a friend of mine noted, he's already played Edgar and The Fool. So maybe it should be Lear next.

I knew that and had the same thought. I heard him on a interview being asked about Macbeth. Apparently, it's bad luck to say the actual name of this production but it seemed he had the thought for something in the future; don't think he can wait too long because he is 50 now. He still has time for Lear. It would great if he directed and also starred in it as Lear; however he has been known to say he won't do that again; it was harder than he ever imagined. He's an energetic actor with tons of ambition, so who knows what the future might hold for him.

kelby_lake
01-19-2011, 03:27 PM
Has anybody seen the 1992 modern adaptation of As You Like It?

L.M. The Third
01-21-2011, 01:28 AM
No, is it good?

I've recently ordered the Helen Mirren adaptation from the library. I don't know what to expect.

kelby_lake
01-21-2011, 09:19 AM
No, is it good?

Panned by the critics. It was a failed experiment but it's an interesting failure, with some bizarre director's choices.

Janine
03-10-2011, 06:57 PM
No, is it good?

I've recently ordered the Helen Mirren adaptation from the library. I don't know what to expect.

I just ordered that one from Amazon UK. Haven't watched it yet. I set my computer to Region 2 but I think it will play on all regions, or so the cover seems to state. I have wante to see this for ages. I saw clips on YT many times. How can one go wrong with Helen Mirren?

I love the Archer's production with her first film appearance - "The Age of Consent"...she's an amazing actress and very pretty and fresh in this early production.