PDA

View Full Version : quotes

doheja07
03-02-2008, 12:28 AM
I want to ask this girl to a dance. One of her favorite books is Pride & Prejudice. I wanted to use a quote from the book to ask her. Does anybody know of any quotes that would be appropriate for this situation?

sciencefan
03-02-2008, 08:43 PM
I want to ask this girl to a dance. One of her favorite books is Pride & Prejudice. I wanted to use a quote from the book to ask her. Does anybody know of any quotes that would be appropriate for this situation?Hmmm... very clever. :brow:

I'm not sure if any exists.

I'm going to search for the word "dance".
Has she seen the movie? Can you do a British accent?

Okay... I'm coming up empty for a specific quote asking Elizabeth to dance.

BUT! I've got another idea.
See, one of the problems you run into is being sure that the "quote" you choose, will actually be recognized by the hearer as coming from that book.
It could be a bit embarrassing if she didn't recognize it, so it can't be too obscure.
One of the most famous lines in the book - and in all literature - is the very first line.
What do you think about trying to turn it around into an invitation?
Something along the lines of...
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."... AND it is almost equally acknowledged that a young man going to the dance next Friday night must be in want of a date.... Would you like to go with me?

If you just don't like it, or it's too much of a mouthful, I'll try to help you come up with something else.

P&P
03-10-2008, 12:51 AM
I really love this idea. I have no idea what quotes would be great for it, but the quote the person above suggested was right on the money, if you ask me. Definitely a mouthful, though! :)

P&P
03-10-2008, 12:54 AM
Oh, oh... This isn't out of the book... But you could say something like, "Do you want to go to the dance with me? I'll be your Mr. Darcy if you'll be my Elizabeth."

Ha... That's kinda one of the quotes from one of my t-shirt designs.

JBI
03-10-2008, 12:58 AM
P&P, flip it and make it I'll be Elizabeth, and that'le probably work. Just think about it, she will be baffled and not able to refuse you.

P&P
03-10-2008, 12:59 AM
Ha, that would be pretty hilarious. =D

sciencefan
03-10-2008, 07:43 AM
Oh, oh... This isn't out of the book... But you could say something like, "Do you want to go to the dance with me? I'll be your Mr. Darcy if you'll be my Elizabeth."

Ha... That's kinda one of the quotes from one of my t-shirt designs.Aww.
I love that!

P&P
03-11-2008, 02:12 AM
:) Thank you!

huntress4eva
03-27-2008, 11:25 AM
the first quote that poped into my head wasa "every savage can dance" but thats not really going to win you any points. How about take of from how darcy see accomplishment somthing like "the words accomplised is used far to much these days, i know few who can be called accomplished but you my dear are one. Would you do me the honour of this dance."