PDA

View Full Version : Tempest Essay Choice - Need Assistance

Ryan Hultengren
02-25-2008, 11:34 AM
Hello im writing an essay on The Tempest. And i have a few topic ideas an i was interested in knowing if anyone could give me pointers on which they would choose why, possibly some background information , resources. I'm near the deadline of my paper. and sadly procrastinate but Im open to whatever you all can come up with. here are the topics

Examine the theme of repentance in the play, Explain why Prospero forgives Antonio and Sebastian even though they don't repent

Do you think Prospero decides to forgive his enemies during his conversation with ariel early in Act V, or before that?

Contrast Alonso with prospero and Gonzalo's

Discuss the role of magic in the tempest - i want to do this one but im sure its not easy rather hard but it still interested me but i don't know how to approach it

Eassy needs to be 1000 words - 800

Please give me any helpful advice sources or whatever that could help, very much appreciated ;)

byquist
02-26-2008, 12:21 AM
The play is loaded with magic: the tempest itself and no one drowns; Ariel, as a sprite is the embodiment of magic, and stops the attempted murder; the farees put on a show; Prospero is always talking about his magic wand; Prospero's magic results in Miranda and Ferdinand as star-gazers towards each other; something about sending out hounds to make a lot of noise; Caliban hears magical faree songs all the time Ariel flies; the ship somehow is magically restored so they can all sail to Naples; at one time all the bad guys are frozen in place like statues until Prospero decides to let them resume life; Caliban knows firsthand the powerful infliction of Prospero's magic; Ariel was stuck in the trunk of a tree until Prospero's magic let him out.

Ariel could probably fly away if he/she wanted to, but Ariel is a good sprite and "owes" Prospero. Prospero has to convince Ariel to stay for 3 more days; the he/she is set free to fly away.