PDA

View Full Version : Wordsworth's Theme: Nature as a Teacher/Moral Educator

blackjack8918
02-24-2008, 04:53 PM
I need help writing a paper on the common theme, Nature as a Teacher/Moral Educator in three of Wordsworth's poems. (The Tables Turned, Expostulation and Reply, Tintern Abbey) Any help with a thesis statement/main assertion for the paper, direct quotations from these poems to support thesis/main assertion, or any other thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

JBI
02-24-2008, 05:06 PM
Have you read the poems? Each of those, especially Tintern Abbey has a large history of criticism attached. You could look there, specifically look into Harold Bloom's and Lionel Trilling's work on criticism. Those guys both wrote extensively on Wordsworth.

blackjack8918
02-25-2008, 02:02 AM
Yes, I have read them. I haven't been able to find anything by either Harold Bloom or Lionel Trilling to fit what I am looking for. I need more criticisms on The Tables Turned than anything else right now.

mahishi
02-25-2008, 03:37 AM
Have you go through the poem I wandered lonely as a cloud, I think it will be more use full to you. do you need any help regarding this poem ,I can help you

ashnagesh
05-17-2008, 10:21 AM
nature is seen as the primary educator in wordsworthian poetry.
both 'expostulation and reply' and 'tables turned' essentially show that the education one can receive from experiencing nature is superior to book learning... they encourage the reader to sit in "wise passiveness" (as opposed to idle passiveness).