PDA

View Full Version : Jacques Derrida RIP

den
10-11-2004, 12:39 PM
Wasn't sure if I should put this in General Chat or perhaps Religion ... but maybe here too can suffice.

The famous (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3729844.stm) philosopher died on Saturday.

The Algerian-born philosopher is best known for his "deconstruction theory" -- unpicking the way text is put together in order to reveal its hidden meanings.

den
10-11-2004, 12:44 PM
I'll say he was a great poet, theorist, writer, teacher, all of the above ...

"Who dreams?
Whom?
Who writes?
What?
Who signs the miracle of the red rose?
Who signs under this text that no less has its period, its rules?
Will there be bleeding?
The question can be left suspended for a while at least. The risk is to die before having written one's glas."

Jaques Derrida..RIP
This was never your risk

subterranean
10-19-2004, 08:16 PM
Ow Den, I thought He was dead long before saturday :brickwall :blush:. I read some of his book when i was in college, for sociology theory class.

Don Quijote
10-21-2004, 05:48 AM
Thank you for this topic. Never heard of him...

simon
10-21-2004, 08:43 PM
Den tell us of his philosophy, where did he go when he died?

briefcandle
02-25-2006, 03:22 AM
Derrida... i never read him, but repeatedly heard him quoted in some of my favourite classes, in asian philosophy, Taoism for eg, when his deconstructionism was mentioned, particularly regarding chuang tsu's paradoxes. Later heard his name mentioned again by a worshipped prof of mine on the way we read literature, on "death of the author" etc etc... I once made an effort to read him, but it looked somewhat dreary at the time and almost smacked of scientific texts that I gave up.. definitely i will make another try some day.

The Unnamable
02-25-2006, 05:10 AM
Den tell us of his philosophy, where did he go when he died?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

PeterL
02-25-2006, 12:13 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's the best use of smileys that I have ever seen.

TodHackett
02-25-2006, 12:30 PM
Derrida is dead?

Ah, well... I'm sure there are traces of him about...

(I joke b/c, from what I know of Derrida, he would have wanted it that way. Look for my updated signature(!) whenever I can find my copy of _Limited Inc._).

Thanks for the sad news, den.

The Unnamable
02-25-2006, 12:44 PM
Derrida is dead?
Such is life. One minute you're deconstructing, the next you're decomposing. :nod:

TodHackett
02-26-2006, 02:34 PM
Excellent, Unnamable!

Reminds me of the "Far Side" cartoon-- we see a long-dead body slumped over a piano; in the doorway to the adjoining room, one lady whispers to another: "Shhh! The maestro is decomposing."

The Unnamable
02-27-2006, 09:11 AM
Reminds me of the "Far Side" cartoon-- we see a long-dead body slumped over a piano; in the doorway to the adjoining room, one lady whispers to another: "Shhh! The maestro is decomposing."
Canít remember that one but there are Larson cartoons where I think he is every bit as profound a thinker as Derrida. He's almost as funny as well. :D