PDA

View Full Version : Persuasive Piece

alexthegrt
06-30-2002, 12:46 AM
Hello out there - I'm trying to find a good example of persuasive literature that would appeal to high school students who are reluctant readers. Any help / suggestions would be deeply appreciated! :-?

Admin
06-30-2002, 09:05 AM
Well I haven't read it, but Jane Austen's Persuasion seems like it'd fit the bill. Most of her books are popular with teenage girls.

For teenage boys I'd probably recommend Treasure Island, War of the Worlds, 1984, The Count of Monte Cristo, or something like that.

Things like 1984 and Aldous Huxley's A Brave New World make good discussion pieces.

alexthegrt
06-30-2002, 10:32 PM
Thanks so much for the suggestions!

Eric, son of Chuck
07-15-2002, 09:23 PM
You'd think 1984 would appeal, but my entire class hated it. Disgusting, isn't it?

Vronaqueen
03-29-2003, 08:22 PM
i loved 1984! but is scared the living i don't know what out of me. :o but is just goes to show how ignorant most people are. my junior year of high school, i was the only one in my english glass to actually finish The Great Gatsby!

waxmephilosophical
03-29-2003, 09:32 PM
As a high school student, I can vouch for the lack of interest in literature...It really is pathetic. And it doesn't surprise me that your (Eric, Son of Chuck) students weren't interested in 1984. I love it, but a surprisingly large number of kids would read it and not get a single thing out of it...closed-mindedness and apathy run rampant. :(

piquant
04-01-2003, 04:56 AM
I think one of the best ways to get students interested in literature is to introduce them to an environment where reading is not considered dull, boring, or "nerdy". Unfortunately, this is incredibly hard to do in our public school systems. I know a lot of people who have been peer pressured out of reading. Maybe you could give them a list of sites on the internet, like this one, where they can come discuss what they have read or ask for help if they need it. Give them a group of peers who value reading. Or start a Reading club, if you don't already have one. Some people though, I just dont think are interested, or ever will be. The important thing is to reach those who have potential before they are forced into apathy and stagnancy.

Shuai
04-01-2003, 11:13 PM
It is reasonable to figure that reluctant readers have low reading levels, so I would start them off with something more easy to understand. Maybe like Animal Farm. But most teenagers these days are interested in rap music, violence, and the oppsite sex. One of D. H. Lawerence's books might hit the spot.
But, you have to remember, don't waste your time on idiots. If they read a great book and hate it, or if they don't have a clue why it matters, then just walk away and let them fail in life like they should. 8)

MarsMonster
04-15-2003, 08:26 AM
you think they'll fail in life ?
whoa.....

let them do what they want.
when i was in elementary school (i was 13 years old) there was a period of a year when i didn't want to read. and i love reading but hormones and so on i simply refused to read anything. nobode tried to get me interested in books again, and nobody told me what i should do. after a year or so, i started reading again, and i don't think i missed much or failed in life.
i remember thinking reading is useles, like tv or movies, it was something like 'live, don't read or watch fictinal characters live' and nothing could convince me otherwise.

waxmephilosophical
04-16-2003, 04:07 PM
Okay...the difference is, you stopped reading for a period of one year. We refer to those who, unlike you, have never shown interest in reading and see it as a waste of their time. They will remain in ignorance for the rest of their lives...which is sad. They don't know what they're missing. Reading is very enriching, especially for young growing minds, and I don't think that educators have understated its importance. It's stressed in school, and it is up to the individual to take interest or not. Pity if they don't...

Shea
04-17-2003, 10:02 PM
A lot of times, I feel it has to do with the parents. My mom taught me to read when I was 2 because I kept coloring in my reading books. And she would still always read to me. I've always been an avid reader because of that, though I also went through a period where I didn't want to read. (But now that I think about it, I just didn't want to read the books that were assigned at the time.) It's one thing to provide for and even love a child, but it's another thing to raise them.

imthefoolonthehill
04-18-2003, 01:28 AM
WHAT???? My gosh!!!! (referring to Mr. My entire class hated 1984)

How is that possible!!!!

Did they read it? Or did they only read the footnotes?

I guess tastes differ..... but geez!

I read it while taking Driver's education (worthless) as a Freshman. I absolutely loved it... This year (sophomore) I have ranted and raved about how great it is that finally someone popular started reading it.... now.... I look around and see copies of it everywhere... It is amazing... and whadyaknow? Everyone loves it... I haven't met one person (in person) who has read the entire book and proclaimed to have disliked it or shown only moderate interest. *sighs* I am tired... and while my post probably started out as something which was intended to have meaning or a point... I think I lost it... I am not sure if I will post it... I guess you will only know if I decide that I will post it.... hmmm... ok

Tabac
04-18-2003, 02:57 PM
My students always seemed to enjoy reading Lord of the Flies. And, oddly enough, they liked "Cyrano". I always had success with Cry, the Beloved Country; "Romeo and Juliet" was usually received well if read aloud in class; "Pygmalion" was also usually popular. To Kill a Mockingbird is a must.

I found that showing parts, if not all, of a movie version of the novel or play helped reinforce the image they might carry away from the experience.

Chardata
04-18-2003, 03:05 PM
I am a highschool student. All the books you posted are books i had to read in school this year. I hated all of them except for Cyrano. I do believe that watching the movie helps. My teacher showed us the movie to The Count of Monte Cristo then we read the book. First, it prevented the lazy students from watching the movie and not reading the book and it helped me visualize the charas and voices. Also anylizing the books are good. I hate it but it allows the students to understand the piece of litteratue better. Papers...no but activities yes. I hope this helps!