PDA

View Full Version : Does Myshkin ever say "Beauty will save the world"?

youngpilgrim
01-24-2008, 04:21 PM
I have been trying to find this oft-quoted dictum (supposedly of Prince Myshkin).

So far I haven't. I'm beginning to wonder if the Prince ever said this?

Does anyone know just where to find it?

Logos
01-24-2008, 07:18 PM
From Ch. 7 of online searchable etext :)
http://www.online-literature.com/dostoevsky/idiot/7/

--

"Such beauty is real power," said Adelaida. "With such beauty as that one might overthrow the world." She returned to her easel thoughtfully.

--

From Ch. 38:
http://www.online-literature.com/dostoevsky/idiot/38/

"Why do I wish to unite you two? For your sakes or my own? For my own sake, naturally. All the problems of my life would thus be solved; I have thought so for a long time. I know that once when your sister Adelaida saw my portrait she said that such beauty could overthrow the world. But I have renounced the world. You think it strange that I should say so, for you saw me decked with lace and diamonds, in the company of drunkards and wastrels. Take no notice of that; I know that I have almost ceased to exist. God knows what it is dwelling within me now--it is not myself. I can see it every day in two dreadful eyes which are always looking at me, even when not present. These eyes are silent now, they say nothing; but I know their secret. His house is gloomy, and there is a secret in it. I am convinced that in some box he has a razor hidden, tied round with silk, just like the one that Moscow murderer had. This man also lived with his mother, and had a razor hidden away, tied round with white silk, and with this razor he intended to cut a throat.

--

youngpilgrim
01-28-2008, 08:45 PM
In another place Ippolit says: "Is it true, prince, that you once declared that 'beauty would save the world'? Great Heaven! The prince says that beauty saves the world! And I declare that he only has such playful ideas because he's in love! Gentlemen, the prince is in love. I guessed it the moment he came in. Don't blush, prince; you make me sorry for you. What beauty saves the world? Colia told me that you are a zealous Christian; is it so? Colia says you call yourself a Christian."

bazarov
02-14-2008, 02:05 PM
In another place Ippolit says: "Is it true, prince, that you once declared that 'beauty would save the world'? Great Heaven! The prince says that beauty saves the world! And I declare that he only has such playful ideas because he's in love! Gentlemen, the prince is in love. I guessed it the moment he came in. Don't blush, prince; you make me sorry for you. What beauty saves the world? Colia told me that you are a zealous Christian; is it so? Colia says you call yourself a Christian."

Yes, that's that part you are referring; very famous quote.
Although I disagree with it. :D