PDA

View Full Version : Hard Times

Stardust97
01-17-2008, 11:20 PM
I just started Hard Times by Charles Dickens. What I need is to know others opinions about the book. What do u think???:)

kilted exile
01-18-2008, 09:16 AM
Well, I think it is the greatest novel ever written. Hilariously funny, incredibly sad & full of meaning.

Stardust97
01-18-2008, 05:46 PM
This is probably my first time reading a Charles Dickens book! I love the way he writes vividly and detailed

Stardust97
01-18-2008, 05:48 PM
Thanks, I've been thinking about reading Great Expectations too. hum.....

aeroport
01-18-2008, 07:10 PM
Thanks, I've been thinking about reading Great Expectations too. hum.....
You might be better served to read that instead (though I can't say myself, not having read it yet). It's supposedly one of his better novels, whereas Hard Times is considered one of his worst - or least good, at any rate. I didn't care for it myself - he's rather heavy-handed in this one. However, it's probably worth a read.

Stardust97
01-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Well, then I'll have to get Great Expectations too!!! LOL:bawling:

kiz_paws
01-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Oh no, Hard Times is a great book full of stuff that makes thy head spin (from plot to all the character zany names)! Love It!! :thumbs_up

Great Expectations was a fantastic read too....

Have fun! :)

Stardust97
01-21-2008, 12:32 AM
I like both

Il Penseroso
01-21-2008, 02:06 AM
I'll have to agree with Jamesian about the heavy-handedness. Hard Times is in fact the only Dickens I've read, and basically what I can say is that it doesn't require thought or decision making, he lays it all out in the names. There's really not much room for diversity of opinion in the book, and I have a big problem with that.

kilted exile
01-22-2008, 12:01 PM
Gonna have to disagree about him being specifically "heavy-handed" in this novel. He is no more heavy handed here than when he is attacking the "Poor Law" in Oliver Twist, or the chancellory system in Bleak House. Yes, his opinion regarding the subject matter is clear from the outset, but that is his style.

remaining young
03-03-2008, 07:42 PM
Hello there I have just finnished reading this. My very first 'Dickens'. And I should have known better. I have enjoyed it, that is, dispite the rather long paragraphs and the sometimes the rereading trying to get the text clear in todays world of quick get it over with story lines! Or am I being too cynical towards todays writers? After all I have read very little of the 'great classics'.

huntress4eva
04-21-2008, 09:01 AM
I really really enjoyed this novel. Normally im not a fan of Dickens but the book was fantastic i really love Characters such as louisa, sissy and Blackpool

frida_kahlo
07-09-2008, 05:59 PM
I remember that when I was a little kid, I read oliver twist and david copperfield (certainly simplified and turkish versions:)) and I remember that I really liked them especially david copperfield. Now I am reading hard times in fact I have just begun reading it and it seems to be enjoying, I really wonder what will happen to sissy in the future.

frida_kahlo
07-19-2008, 06:19 PM
I was wondering what will happen to sissy but I should think, I should wonder about louisa now

wessexgirl
07-19-2008, 06:59 PM
I love Hard Times, but then I love Dickens. I don't see him as heavy-handed at all. :p to anyone who doesn't like Dickens...(only joking, but he is one of the greatest :D )

kelby_lake
04-17-2013, 03:43 PM
I enjoyed it. It's an odd little novel, with many satirical moments but a generally unhappy ending for everyone.