PDA

View Full Version : Importance of Minor Characters

amanda_rae_4
09-29-2004, 05:17 PM
Can you guys help me please! I have to write a paper on a minor character in any one of Shakespeares plays. The paper has to deal with the relevance of such character. I have a couple of ideas (Duchess of York or Gloucester from King Richard II), but would appreciate any help from anyone. Thank you!

mono
09-29-2004, 09:16 PM
Wow, amanda_rae, that sounds like an uncommon kind of essay. My favorite minor characters prove often those with the most memorable personalities, such as the mysteriously funny character from A Comedy of Errors (I cannot remember his name) who talks to his dog. Another memorable character, for me, was Lavinia from Titus Andronicus, who made the greater part of terming the play a tragedy. Good luck!

Shea
09-30-2004, 09:33 AM
Hi Amanda,

Here a hint to try, compare the minor characters to the main characters.

Stanislaw
10-04-2004, 12:43 PM
yeah, try and see how Ophilia furthers the plot in Hamlet, or how the priest in Romeo and Juliet. Supporting characters can often times be as if not more important than the main characters.

amanda_rae_4
10-04-2004, 05:56 PM
thank you guys for the help. I am going to take your advice shea...I guess once you see how they affect the main characters, it is easy to understand their importance. Thanks for all of ya'lls help!!