PDA

View Full Version : What constitutes a "good " writer?

Prof
09-29-2004, 03:22 PM
Recently I had the privilege to engage member Baddad in a discourse, during which I utilised Joseph Wambaugh to support an argument. Upon which Baddad replied: "Hmmm.....me thinks that Joseph Wampaugh surely can and may express himself with as many vulgarities as he pleases. After all, he is not exactly churning out quality literature, but escape fiction."

Which has set me thinking; What exactly constitutes a "writer" to be deemed as "good?'

Personally I opine that for a writer to be lauded as such, he or she must be able to embody a specific person or circumstances in the manner which such
generally is perceived. That is regarding fiction. Equally so, the targeted reader must willingly stay for the duration.

Factually he or she must strictly adhere to what is geneally perceived to be the truth, without sidelining the reader.

However, how do you see it?

Prof.

trismegistus
09-29-2004, 09:27 PM
What exactly constitutes a "writer" to be deemed as "good?'

Verybaddmom's say-so.

simon
09-30-2004, 01:17 PM
A writer is deemed "good" according to personal standards that are often and usually disputable by someone elses standards. But universial creativity, continuity, and a little payoff to people in high places for a good review are all required to make a good writer.

baddad
09-30-2004, 01:47 PM
Verybaddmom's say-so.

LOL.....good one. Ditto simon's answer. You folks are just so witty!

verybaddmom
09-30-2004, 01:57 PM
cheeky cheeky

Taliesin
09-30-2004, 02:31 PM
A good book- A book, which's only fault is that I didn't write it. :wave:

crisaor
09-30-2004, 05:38 PM
Which has set me thinking; What exactly constitutes a "writer" to be deemed as "good?'
If I really knew, I'd be there already.

subterranean
09-30-2004, 09:15 PM
the spirit of optimism

Jester
10-11-2004, 12:38 AM
captivation, a good story. That's all it takes for me. If the author or storyteller has me captivated to a point where I want to read and not jsut that I have to read it is where I draw the line of course that's with fiction and biographical stories not with the analysis of the eating habits of peregrine falcons (that actually might be interesting though :)). So with that it changes for everyone becuase something that I find good somebody else may find rather bad.

nice question though I also agree with Crisaor as well.

GatsbyTheGreat
10-11-2004, 03:04 AM

Prof.

An entirely subjective question, but I must say I do enjoy it when the characters are believable and actually fit the profile of the sort of person they are supposed to be. I don't like Kevin Smith movies (Clerks, Chasing Amy, etc.) because his star characters are all bums, druggies and high schoolers talking like they just graduated from Yale. I don't like many Stephen King novels for the same reason, though King does have a good amount of talent when it comes to telling stories. Thats my two cents.

Joe18
07-30-2008, 11:13 AM
The moon, a pale, ruffled eye hung bare upon the night its lustrous light reflecting, and surrounding the golden dust of the twinkling stars. The howl echoed upon the night, and cat perched above the fence, its lean black fur and turbulent eyes watching the darkness...

Margaret’s face watched the aunty and after a transitory moment nothing moved; the guests were breathless for an instant. Her face remained white with an astounding pale complexion; the fragrance of her pleasant perfume drifted and hung permanently upon the flimsy air of the room...The guests continued to stare until her mouth opened and her scornful smile seemed to vanquish the warm, yellow lighted mood of the room.

Her lips opened and she sobbed softly under the sharp breathing of her shallow breath. Her eyes gazed up at the ceiling than out the window longingly to distant stars speckled light. Her voice was barely audible but she braced herself for an endearing effort and she whispered a few words of indignation and then she was silent once again, immersed in her reading.

tedgemon
08-08-2008, 09:53 AM

Prof.

a general concensus.but specifically, good use of themes and symbols.

storywriter101
08-11-2008, 08:04 PM
I think it just depends. If you think you are a good writer and many other people say you are as well, most likely you are. To me a good writer is someone who uses a lot of detail, makes you feel like you are really there, and most of all makes you feel you can't put the book down. They keep you absorbed and don't bore you.

blazeofglory
09-14-2008, 09:24 PM
We can not say one denominator or any tool that can measure what makes a good writer. It is readers centric, and some readers may like thrillers and others philosophical. No writers, maybe veryfew can satisfy both ends simultaneously.

lasheil
09-17-2008, 07:45 PM
To me, a good writer is one that can transport me anywhere the story takes place. I would want to stay in that world or become a part of it; and never want to leave.

clumsy angelle
09-19-2008, 02:18 AM
passion for writing, patience and optimism

Equality72521
09-19-2008, 04:44 PM
I say that a good writer is in the eye of the reader.

xtianfriborg13
11-25-2012, 08:22 PM
For me, a good writer would be someone who is open and fearless in writing.