PDA

View Full Version : What?! No threads?!

Savarucci
01-13-2008, 10:03 PM
Why hasn't anybody posted anything about good ol' Sir Percy and company yet? :( What a shame; The Scarlet Pimpernel is a very good book and this here forum looks so lonely.

Fellow fans! What did you guys think of the book?

mosimo
02-07-2008, 02:02 PM
The plot in The Scarlet Pimpernel is very gripping and Orczy twists the reader around her little finger. At one moment she has you thinking that everything is lost and at the next everything falls back into place. The only complaint I have is that Sir Percy is too powerful. Every obstacle that is brought forth is easily vanquished and he as a character does not have that much depth. Nevertheless the book is mainly about Margarette. She is well developed but of all the charaters is the only one who is developed. The book is mainly action.

Lady Glynde
03-02-2008, 10:27 AM
Why hasn't anybody posted anything about good ol' Sir Percy and company yet? :( What a shame; The Scarlet Pimpernel is a very good book and this here forum looks so lonely.

Dearest, most lovely and intelligent Savarucci,

I completely, utterly, and wholly agree with you.

Except maybe more.

Let's just say that my stuffed rabbit is named Percy, my name is Lady Glynde (from Phillip Glynde, unmarried League member), and on the cover of my algebra notebook is the little red flower and the word Courage. Always makes me get out there and kick some exponential butt.

Have you read any of the other novels by Her Brilliance The Baroness??

What did you think of the movies??

~Long Live The Scarlet Pimpernel

Lady Glynde
03-02-2008, 10:32 AM
The plot in The Scarlet Pimpernel is very gripping and Orczy twists the reader around her little finger. At one moment she has you thinking that everything is lost and at the next everything falls back into place. The only complaint I have is that Sir Percy is too powerful. Every obstacle that is brought forth is easily vanquished and he as a character does not have that much depth. Nevertheless the book is mainly about Margarette. She is well developed but of all the charaters is the only one who is developed. The book is mainly action.

Yes. Decidedly so. You should read El Dorado, definitely, for reasons I shan't (Hehe! British!) state for fear of ruining it for you.

EugenieIsabelle
03-16-2008, 11:01 PM
I loved The Scarlet Pimpernel dearly! The first time I read the book in Russian, and found the translation to be quite crude and vulgar. The plot seemed so interesting, and yet the characters used what I'd call Russian slang to converse with each other. When I read the English version, the contrast was drastic, and I utterly adored the book. I liked the 1982 movie well enough, too, although it was a strange combination of The Scarlet Pimpernel and El Dorado. The very old, black and white version I must say I did not like at all. Sir Percy did not strike me as a very romantic figure--he was at least sixty. There were more direct problems with it, too...I want a good musical or movie adaptation to come out!!! And to actually be satisfied with Sir Percy and Marguerite and the screenplay at the same time!

Don Quixote Jr
04-16-2009, 05:39 AM

Not much, although I generally prefer not to rain on someone else's parade. (But hey, you did ask for feedback here...) Personally, I'd give it three thumbs down if I could. I found it to be boring and corny...really lightweight compared to one of my favorites, The Count of Monte Cristo!

Truthlover
11-23-2009, 03:33 PM
Friends,

This is one of the best books I have ever read, and I would recommend it far and wide. It is not the style of writing that matters most in this book. What matters much more is the story itself. In the last 200 years, rarely does a book end well. This book really ends upbeat. It raises your heart and gives you confidence in the possibilities in human nature for doing good.