PDA

View Full Version : Burmese Days

Dark Muse
01-09-2008, 04:28 PM
When I was at the book sale where I picked up Animal Farm they also had another book of Orwell's that I had not heard of before called Burmese Days and I almost picked it up, but then I ended up not doing so, but after my reading of Animal Farm, and having already read 1984 I am currious to read some more of his work, but I was wondering before I do go out and get it, has anyone read Burmese Days? and if so, do you think it really is a worthy read? Or is there a good reason why it is perhaps not quite as well known as Animal Farm and 1984?

Nico87
01-09-2008, 06:59 PM
I like all his books, really. Personally, after Animal Farm and 1984, I liked Homage to Catalonia best, but this is probably because I really like millitary litterature. Coming Up for Air is pretty good aswell. The collection of essays published by Everyman's Library is really superb.

From wiki;

Burmese Days is a novel by British writer George Orwell. Published in 1934 and based loosely on Orwell's five years as a police officer in the Indian Imperial Police force in Burma (now Myanmar), it is a caustic, fast-paced tale about the waning days of British imperialism before World War II. Publishers were reluctant to publish the book due to fear of libel suits. No retired British officers filed any libel suits, but the book was not available in India and Burma at the time of publication. The characters in the novel were based on real people and only on the insistence of the publishers were some of the places and names changed.

Anyway, I'm off for the army in 8 hours so this is probably the last thing you'll hear from me in a long while.

Take care, ya'll!

Dark Muse
01-09-2008, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the info and good luck in your ventures

The Atheist
01-09-2008, 08:18 PM
Typically, Wiki's information is pretty sparse.

Burmese Days is excellent value, if simply for the autobiographical nature of it. The life and times of Flory and the "Club" are the absolute essence of colonial oppression Orwell wished to convey.

Like most of Orwell's other works, it isn't an easy read, but is well worth the effort. Buy it!

Dark Muse
01-09-2008, 08:20 PM
I will keep an eye out for it again next time I go to get books.

wat??
02-27-2009, 05:45 PM
I find Burmese Days to be at least as good as 1984, if not better.

The Atheist
02-28-2009, 03:49 AM
I find Burmese Days to be at least as good as 1984, if not better.

This is why it's dangerous to say whether one book is better than another. The two are beyond comparing, in my opinion - it would be like trying to compare smoked salmon with champagne. Two superb taste delights, but not comparable to each other.

1984 is a book of vast scope and statement, Burmese Days is a microscopic view of a tiny society in a short time period. Historical and cultural enlightenment against 1984's dire warning against totalitarianism.

Glad you enjoyed it, though!

:)

MSDGreen
07-17-2009, 07:06 PM
I see where 1984 and Burmese Days are all apples and oranges, but, they do have common underlying themes throughout. 1984 shows us a rebellion against "big brother" which ultimately fails. The same can be said about Burmese Days. Flory, while maintaining a lot of his pukka sahibness, goes against what is commonly thought to be correct dealings for a white man. In both books main characters fight against what is the norms of the societies they hail from. The same conclusions are drawn from each instance. IMHO

geekguy
10-28-2011, 07:20 PM
This is why it's dangerous to say whether one book is better than another.

I agree fully with you. Chalk and Cheese! But I suppose he meant it from a experiential perspective, which is in the eye of the beholder. Both are great!

kev67
07-17-2012, 12:36 PM
Burmese Days is probably my favourite Orwell fictional book of those I've read, which includes 1984, Animal Farm, and Coming up for Air. It's cynical, and not very happy of course. It's rather different to 1984 and Animal Farm in that it is not allegorical. George Orwell served with the colonial police in Burma iirc.