PDA

View Full Version : Jane Eyre Argumentative Paper

hopelessdreamer
01-07-2008, 10:51 PM
Hi everyone! I have to write an argumentative research paper in the spring, but I decided to start brainstorming early. I have finally decided to base my paper off of Jane Eyre, which I absolutely love, but I am having a hard time finding a good topic from the book (or events connected to the book) that can be argued as well as researched. Any ideas?

Dark Muse
01-08-2008, 12:23 AM
I think an intresting topic that could be arguest as well as researched would be reguarding Bertha, and her possible unfair treatment at being locked away in antic in isolation and then deemed "crazy" as well as race issues that could revolve around the issue, being that she had come from the Indies, and was descirbed as being animal like. Not to mention how she was conveintantly killed off to make way for Jane Eyre.

Newcomer
01-12-2008, 12:53 PM
I think an intresting topic that could be arguest as well as researched would be reguarding Bertha ....

Argued, yes but researched, no. If by research you mean that the theme of Bertha, as you put it, is contained and can be extracted from Charlotte's novel. I would suggest that intellectual and moral arguments are difficult if not impossible to separate from the character of the author. Your argument is similar to that presented in Wide Sargasso Sea and, if you would read Jean Rhys's biography, you will have to come to the concussion that Charlotte Bronte and Jean Rhys are moral opposites.
However since this is an ideological argument as opposed to a rational one, the best exposition in my opinion is in the essay http://www.english-literature.org/essays/bronte_rhys.html
I hope, 'hopelessdreamer', that you will not fall and choose an original topic, not one that has been beaten to death.

sciencefan
01-13-2008, 02:51 PM
Argued, yes but researched, no. If by research you mean that the theme of Bertha, as you put it, is contained and can be extracted from Charlotte's novel. I would suggest that intellectual and moral arguments are difficult if not impossible to separate from the character of the author. Your argument is similar to that presented in Wide Sargasso Sea and, if you would read Jean Rhys's biography, you will have to come to the concussion that Charlotte Bronte and Jean Rhys are moral opposites.
However since this is an ideological argument as opposed to a rational one, the best exposition in my opinion is in the essay http://www.english-literature.org/essays/bronte_rhys.html
I hope, 'hopelessdreamer', that you will not fall and choose an original topic, not one that has been beaten to death.I agree with Newcomer.

Not only has that "cruel husband" thing been beaten to death, but I don't even believe it. Compared to the options, I believe Bertha's care was the MOST compassionate choice Rochester could have made, not the worst.

I'm also sick to death of all the pro-feminist arguments as well. PLEASE pick something else!