PDA

View Full Version : A Neglected Poet

mono
09-23-2004, 02:21 AM
Hi, everyone. From my home of Portland, Oregon comes a relatively unknown poet named William Stafford. He was known to wake between 3 to 5 am every morning for the sole purpose of solitude to write at least one poem, and taught English and creative writing until his death in 1993. Below I'll type a few of my favorites; his most well known, yet still fairly infamous, is the last, "Traveling through the Dark." Enjoy.

You and Art

Your exact errors make a music
that nobody hears.
Your straying feet find the great dance,
walking alone.
And you live on a world where stumbling
always leads home.

Year after year fits over your face—
when there was youth, your talent
was youth;
later, you find your way by touch
where moss redeems the stone;

and you discover where music begins
before it makes any sound,
far in the mountains where canyons go
still as the always-falling, ever-new flakes of snow.

---

Where We Are

Fog in the morning here
will make some of the world far away
and the near only a hint. But rain
will feel its blind progress along the valley,
tapping to convert one boulder at a time
into a glistening fact. Daylight will love what came.
Whatever fits will be welcome, whatever
steps back in the fog will disappear
and hardly exist. You hear the river
saying a prayer for all that’s gone.

Far over the valley there is an island
for everything left; and our own island
will drift there too, unless we hold on,
unless we tap like this: “Friend,
are you there? Will you touch when
you pass, like the rain?”

---

The Way It Is

There’s a thread you follow. It goes among
things that change. But it doesn’t change.
People wonder about what you are pursuing.
You have to explain about the thread.
But it is hard for others to see.
While you hold it you can’t get lost.
Tragedies happen; people get hurt
or die; and you suffer and get old.
Nothing you do can stop time’s unfolding.
You don’t ever let go of the thread.

---

Our Story

Remind me again—together we
trace our strange journey, find
each other, come on laughing.
Some time we’ll cross where life
ends. We’ll both look back
as far as forever, that first day.
I’ll touch you—a new world then.
Stars will move a different way.
We’ll both end. We’ll both begin.

Remind me again.

---

With Kit, Age 7, at the Beach

We would climb the highest dune,
from there to gaze and come down:
the ocean was performing;
we contributed our climb.

Waves leapfrogged and came
straight out of the storm.
What should our gaze mean?
Kit waited for me to decide.

Standing on such a hill,
what would you tell your child?
That was an absolute vista.
Those waves raced far, and cold.

“How far could you swim, Daddy,
in such a storm?”
“As far as was needed,” I said,
and as I talked, I swam.

---

Note

straw, feathers, dust—
little things

but if they all go one way,
that’s the way the wind goes.

---

Different Things

Steel hardly known what a hint is, but for the thistledown
all you have to do is breathe. And a patch of new cement
will remember a touch forever.

One time I asked Agnes to dance. How she
put up her arms—I thought of that this morning
fifty years later.

Salmon return out of a wide ocean
and find their home river all the way back
through the bitter current.

Under sequoias, tiny blue flowers, dim
all day and almost invisible, grow out of moss.
They reach deep into night for that color.

---

Traveling through the Dark

Traveling through the dark I found a deer
dead on the edge of the Wilson River road.
It is usually best to roll them into the canyon:
that road is narrow; to swerve might make more dead.

By glow of the tail-light I stumbled back of the car
and stood by the head, a doe, a recent killing;
she had stiffened already, almost cold.
I dragged her off; she was large in the belly.

My fingers touching her side brought me the reason—
her side was warm; her fawn lay there waiting,
alive, still, never to be born.
Beside that mountain road I hesitated.

The car aimed ahead its lowered parking lights;
under the hood purred the steady engine.
I stood in the glare of the warm exhaust turning red;
around our group I could hear the wilderness listen.

I thought hard for us all—my only swerving—,
then pushed her over the edge into the river.

amuse
09-23-2004, 05:20 PM
as i'm only going to sample a few at a time (because i find them enjoyable), i've only one to comment on so far; the end of "Where We Are" is just, just beautiful. haunting.

Miranda
09-24-2004, 06:21 PM
Mono Thank you for posting these poems. Like Amuse, I think they are great and I also like Where We Are the best too, because it's so haunting and atmospheric that you can feel the damp wet fog and the rain. I like You and Art too, especially the last verse, 'and you discover where music begins
before it makes any sound,
far in the mountains where canyons go
still as the always-falling, ever-new flakes of snow. I like also where it says, about moss redeeming the stone.

I don't like the last poem. If something like that happened to me, it would disturb me so much, I would be awake all night. It's just too sad for me, something I'd want to forget.

The Way 'It Is is really clever,' I think. Everyone has own thread I suppose, but we go along in life not really realising it. Inside we have our own 'driven-ness' and sense of purpose, our set of why's and wherefore's that give us reason, not only to get up in the morning, but to get up when life beats us down and makes us feel worthless. I never thought of this before until I read the poem. That's what poetry and literature does sometimes isn't it - defines your 'half thoughts', the things you know but never clarify in your head. Do I know what I am talking about???? Maybe I am talking a load of rubbish tonight...but I know what I mean. I guess I am following that thread. I think the poems are great Mono and would like to read some more.

mono
09-25-2004, 03:04 PM
I'm glad you and amuse enjoyed the works, Miranda. And, worry not, you spoke much truth about poetry in whatever you call 'rambling.' Not surprisingly, many readers find the last poem, 'Traveling through the Dark,' highly thought-provoking, to say the least; in an analysis for one of my former poetry courses, the work brought up a heated debate about abortion, though I feel William Stafford may have intended a deeper meaning more aiming toward what Aristotle (and later Michel de Montaigne) wrote about death and happiness in his Nicomachean Ethics. An excellent collection of Stafford's poems is titled, after a poem you particularly enjoyed, The Way It Is.

Miranda
09-25-2004, 07:45 PM
I'm glad that you understood my 'ramblings' Mono. Do you know if any of Stafford's collections are on the internet? I would really love to read some more. I will see if our local bookshop has any of his collections, but I live in the UK and am wondering if they will be available here.

I am not very well read and don't know what Aristotle and Michel de Montaigne wrote about death and happiness, though I would like to know.

Abortion is a subject that always will bring about heated debate and it seems people are usually very anti or very pro. But the pregnant deer, makes me think more of ceasarean's than abortion and I think if I could, in that situation, I would try to deliver the still living baby deer. At least it would have a chance at life instead of none. I can see now how this would lead on to the discussion about abortion...

Miranda

mono
09-26-2004, 01:35 AM
Hello again. I know not whether any of William Stafford's books are available in the UK, unless you find a store that may import some of his books. After surfing through a google.com search of "William Stafford," a decent site I found I will provide a link: http://www.newsfromnowhere.com/stafford/stafford00.html.

The fairly cynical philosophy from Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics writes that the state of happiness, in its full definition of stretching to an infinity, cannot be felt until death, since the soul, during life, seems so fickle and in a constant state of flux. Michel de Montaigne, a sixthteenth-century French thinker, who later highly influenced Emerson, simply stated something similar, in a relatively short essay, that one's happiness cannot be judged until death. I feel that the unborn deer "lived" a life of neither virtue nor vice with, therefore, nothing to judge - merely a consciousness of indifference, comforted in utero until death. That's Aristotle and Montaigne in a nutshell. Good luck!

Miranda
09-26-2004, 11:17 AM
Thanks Mono for the link. I have just been reading many of the poems. They are really deep and thought inspiring and from reading them I understand that Stafford is a philospher as much as he is a poet.

I understand what you have written Aristotle's view of happiness and and I agree with you, that it is a cynical way of looking at things. I agree with his assessment of humanity, that we are fickle and in a constant state of flux, but mostly I think this is because what happens in the world is in constant change and we can only adapt to it the best we can.

Stafford seems to have found some calmness within himself, a confidence that in being always true to his own feelings, the things without cannot change him from his steady course. I think that he must have been very strong within to be able to maintain this against outward circumstance. I followed a link from the site and read about his life and that he was a conscientious objector during the second world war. I know that just to admit this is to cause a storm of prejudice and accusation. But it seems through this time, he must have still stuck to his chartered internal course.

I am a Christian and this is my chartered course - but this is different to Stafford because his is an internal one and while I believe in Jesus as my personal Saviour and that He lives inside me since I asked Him into my life, I am relying on God who is bigger than me to take care of me and those that I love. When I am weak, then God is my strength. Just reading what I have about Stafford leads me to believe that he is completely reliant on the steadiness and stillness within him, gained from the things he believes about the world and himself. In one of his poems he does mention God so he evidently believed in Him. I suppose I am searching to know what influence this had on him, or if it he was completly self reliant - in a way that I am not, since I rely on God and not myself. In some way it seems that Stafford could maintain his equalibrium from somewhere inside himself and I wonder what was the source of this. His seemingly independent strength truly amazes me. I have added the link you gave me to my favourites so I can go back and read some more. In addition to his poems being so deep and food for thought, they are really beautiful and so vivid in their imagary. I think you have gained him a fan!

Miranda