PDA

View Full Version : As an individual in a society

hugglesforyou
01-05-2008, 04:24 AM
anyone have any ideas as to how Pip (or other characters) is an individual as an agent for self-determination?

thnx in advance ;)

blazeofglory
01-05-2008, 07:02 AM
This is indeed a great question. Of course I am part of a society and there comes in two things in my dealing with the society I am part of. First of all it is necessary to define society.

Society is a set of norms, values and beliefs and there are commonalities of things or certain groups of people live by shared values.

As such I am compelled to live by all these values. But we can not say we always have to live by social values. Even terrorists too live by certain values and they too belong to a particular society.

Of course individuality should not be annihilated and individual opinions must have a role in point of fact.

Indeed no ideals or sets of theories or formulas must detect us in point of fact. Man must decide on his own as to what he believes in. Man innately is good and when a particular ideology shapes his mind he is likely to be corrupt or go astray.

Societies seem to be really idealistic but there are many societies and one society kind of dominating the other. Society splits up humanity and indeed it puts man into different segmentations and fragmentations.

We cannot discern as to which society is better in point of fact and but one society's values oppose another society's values.

Therefore man must be a discerner of his values on his own and of course without adhering to any particular principles.

hugglesforyou
01-10-2008, 11:44 PM
thnk you, but regarding Pip in Great Expectations?

is he really an individual challenging the society?