PDA

View Full Version : The French Lieutenant's Woman by John Fowles

vheissu
01-04-2008, 11:29 AM
The French Lieutenant's Woman By John Fowles

Set in the Victorian age in England this is a story with more than one ending and an author who has, as he himself says, lost control of his characters and becomes instead a critical observant throughout the book.
Charles Smithson is the only heir to his rich uncle’s fortune and therefore not at all bothered about his future, but much more interested in paleontology. His much younger and very upright fiancée, Ernestina, seems to only cherish her adoration for Charles, her future with him and her proper manners
Sarah is the mysterious woman of Lyme Bay: secretive and with a scandalous past and several, not so endearing nicknames, you’re led to believe she’s the victim of society’s prejudice.
The lives of the three main characters, whose personalities are a lot more complex, are drastically changed after a series of events, aided by their personal choices and of those around them.

10/10

SleepyWitch
01-04-2008, 02:38 PM
I loved this book, too. it had some surprising (or maybe not so surprising) twists in it and you can learn a lot about the perversions of the Victorian mind from it.
I'd give it a 10/10, too. Are you going to post a poll, vheissu?

vheissu
01-06-2008, 11:37 AM
I thought I had but it didn't work! :(
Someone else did it for me, though (thanks!)...So how do you add polls?

SleepyWitch
01-06-2008, 11:42 AM
I thought I had but it didn't work! :(
Someone else did it for me, though (thanks!)...So how do you add polls?

when you start a new thread there's a little box at the bottom that says "post a poll with your thread" (or something along those lines). you have to tick this box and it will ask you to create your poll AFTER you've clicked 'post new thread'