PDA

View Full Version : Bottom-line hearts

PrinceMyshkin
01-01-2008, 08:28 AM
There are those who give and those who take.
There are those who give but it’s only a trade,
watching to see that they get as much
or more in return.

They are capitalists of the heart.

“Buy cheap, sell dear...”

Bottom-line hearts on a flat-line street.

J. Newman © 27Oct06

CdnReader
01-01-2008, 11:05 AM
One of my all-time favourites of yours. That last line is a KILLER! Thanks, Jer. :)

TheFifthElement
01-01-2008, 11:14 AM
'Capitalists of the heart' - aren't we all, just a little? Excellent poem, a nugget of truth (a golden nugget, but not the cereal variety, they're just horrible :sick: ) in a neat package.

ampoule
01-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Following Fifth's comment.....

Crunchy, one of those you think you need to add more sugar to, but you won't because the box says there's enough for any palate.

PrinceMyshkin
01-01-2008, 06:19 PM
Following Fifth's comment.....

Crunchy, one of those you think you need to add more sugar to, but you won't because the box says there's enough for any palate.

As I said elsewhere, this comment could almost be a poem in itself!

Khe Iem
01-01-2008, 07:15 PM
It's nice. Khe Iem

AuntShecky
01-02-2008, 02:08 PM
The piece presents a profound truth: even the most altruistic among us may be ultimately acting in their own
best interests: "capitalists of the heart."

Excellent example of compression/distillation which is what
good poetry does best.

PrinceMyshkin
01-02-2008, 05:36 PM
The piece presents a profound truth: even the most altruistic among us may be ultimately acting in their own
best interests: "capitalists of the heart."

Excellent example of compression/distillation which is what
good poetry does best.

Thank you, multum in parvo is a poetic ideal of mine.

blazeofglory
01-02-2008, 10:43 PM
There are those who give and those who take.
There are those who give but it’s only a trade,
watching to see that they get as much
or more in return.

They are capitalists of the heart.

“Buy cheap, sell dear...”

Bottom-line hearts on a flat-line street.

J. Newman © 27Oct06

Prince I am absorbed deeply. I have no worlds to express. You have indeed metaphorically presented how this modern can capitalistic world goes on.

You are right and I wholeheartedly agree. This world is really torn between these two groups the haves and the havenots.

firefangled
01-03-2008, 06:44 PM
This is indeed a profound truth and wonderfully wrought poem.

I have never been able to express this sentiment very well because my anger always gets in the way. I have not commented previously because, even as I write, my feet are looking for a platform and I would surely get the thread bounced, if I get started.

Wonderful, Prince. As Cdn said, also one of my favorites.

PrinceMyshkin
01-03-2008, 07:29 PM
This is indeed a profound truth and wonderfully wrought poem.

I have never been able to express this sentiment very well because my anger always gets in the way. I have not commented previously because, even as I write, my feet are looking for a platform and I would surely get the thread bounced, if I get started.

Ah, then you would argue in favour of corporate, capitalist love?

(Just kidding, Bud, but I especially looked forward to your view of the technique in this.)

Sweets America
01-03-2008, 07:43 PM
I am rereading this poem and I realize I have not commented on it! I mean I have commented but not on this board. :p
The last line is wonderful for its meaning and the way it sounds. I agree with Donna.

PrinceMyshkin
01-03-2008, 07:53 PM
I am rereading this poem and I realize I have not commented on it! I mean I have commented but not on this board. :p
The last line is wonderful for its meaning and the way it sounds. I agree with Donna.

You are to me in every respect the very opposite of what I tried to describe in this poem, as is the way we relate with each other!

NikolaiI
02-01-2015, 04:58 PM
fantastic :)