PDA

View Full Version : Junky by William S. Burroughs

papayahed
12-28-2007, 09:48 PM
This book is a Semi-Autobiographical tale of how the author first tried heroin and consequently became addicted; the book follows his time in New York, New Orleans, and Mexico.

I still haven't made it through Naked Lunch and if your looking for a similar read this is not the book. It is written in a very straightforward almost detached manner, it neither condemns nor glorifies drug use instead just tells of the authors experiences.

4.6/5

PeterL
12-29-2007, 01:13 PM
Junky is unusual in several ways. Not many junkies can manage to write anything, much less a pretty good action story. It also reports from the inside about the drug scene in the late 1940's. And it is the first book written by Mr Burroughs. I read it years ago, so I don't recall the details. It is said to be almost completely autobiographical, not "semi-autobiographical".

papayahed
12-29-2007, 06:38 PM
I'll leave it in the words of the author: "The narrative is fiction, but it is based on facts of my experience."

subterranean
12-31-2007, 09:44 AM
Ok, I just bought the book. I'll join you later, papaya.

aeroport
01-01-2008, 06:13 AM
My friend got this for Christmas and was telling me some crazy stories about it - and about the author. I just might have to read...

Dharmabeat
05-14-2008, 12:45 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, it was a great little read for me. The book got me interested in Burroughs, and I picked up 'Naked Lunch', which I believe is his most famous work.

Though as already said, 'Naked Lunch' is nothing like 'Junky', and personally I didn't enjoy it that much and was unable to finish the book. I might have another go at reading it one day though.

PeterL
06-25-2008, 11:14 AM
I'll leave it in the words of the author: "The narrative is fiction, but it is based on facts of my experience."

W. S. Burroughs was a junky, which means that he can't be trusted.

mal4mac
08-22-2009, 10:14 AM
I also started "Naked Lunch" and gave up, but read "Junkie" with, perhaps not enjoyment, but, certainly, with rapt interest! Try and get a copy with the introduction by Will Self.