PDA

View Full Version : Women in Homer's Odessey

Bob_Q
12-10-2007, 03:03 PM
Hey, I'm fairly new here and I was wondering if I could pick your brains for a little help? :p

I'm writing a little something on Homer's Odessey and I was wondering to what extent you believe the female 'equation' has on the epic, such as Calypso and the Sirens. Examples with your comments would be helpful :)

Cheers.
Bob.

Orpheus
12-10-2007, 03:13 PM
Oh, man, it's been so long since I've read this. Perhaps I'll pick it up this weekend and get back to you.

Whifflingpin
12-10-2007, 04:58 PM
Don't forget Penelope.

"Homer's Daughter" by Robert Graves argues that Oddysey was written by a woman - the "Nausicaa" in the poem. So, assuming that your question is not for homework to be handed in tomorrow, you might find that a relevant as well as enjoyable read. At least it shows clearly that the female aspect is far more significant and rounded in Odyssey than in Iliad.

J.D.
12-10-2007, 05:40 PM
Don't forget to consider the maid who breastfed Odysseus as a child. She is the first to recognize him after Telemachus and there are a few motherly moments involving her and the hero. Also, there is Agamemnon's wife--Odysseus hears what she has done to the king when he is in the underworld. My point is this: it will be most interesting if you look at all of Homer's representations of women, the obvious and the less obvious ones.

bluevictim
12-10-2007, 06:16 PM
This thread, about communication between women and the gods, might be interesting to you as well.

Bob_Q
12-10-2007, 08:00 PM
Thanks for your input people :)

Oh and don't worry Whifflingpin - I'm a bit old for homework :p

krakadoros
02-02-2017, 08:15 AM
Women was the reason i read Homer. I am talking about Sirens. I did not know about Homer. By change i was in youtube in a music piece (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiJZhT14NRU) for Odysseus. I liked the foto. It was a painting of Belly if i remember well and it was Odysseus and the Sirens. Sirens were very very beautifull in this painting. Then i bought the book and since then, Homer is my favor poet.
By the way, the music was impressive.