PDA

View Full Version : help me in understanding

tarik chowdhury
12-10-2007, 07:09 AM
what are the basic expectations of Pip? why did writer name after this novel as Great Expectations? I have some problems with understanding. please help me..........

Nightshade
12-10-2007, 07:21 AM
Sorry can you make the question clearer?
Are you asking why the novel is called Great expectations?
and what are Pips expectations?

bobston
01-21-2008, 07:46 PM
the Great expectations of pip is to marry Estella and rise in social class

for more detail visit http://www.online-literature.com/dickens/greatexpectations/

zakiah
01-30-2008, 08:37 AM
Pip recieives great expectaions when he receives a great amount of money- but he doesn't know his benefactor and suspects it is Ms Havisham, and this is because ms havisham has led pip to believe in this, Pip's other graet expecations is to marrry Estella.

naomi moon
03-14-2008, 08:14 PM
According to me,Pip's great expectations were those of getting married to Estella and being a gentleman.
But according to my teacher, she is nuts, the great expectations, in the novel, are those of the main characters like: Joe he expects"to make Pip his apprentice", or Ms Havisham expects"to take her revenge from men by using Estella" and so on.
It's a non sense to me but it may be sensible, who knows?!lol!!!:lol: ;)

RJbibliophil
04-01-2008, 05:12 PM
In that age, a young man with lots of money was expected to be a gentleman and rise to the top of society. Of a poor man, little was expected. The story is about Pip, a poor boy, who is thrown into a wealthy world and must discover what is expected of him.

Naomi, your teacher makes sense.