PDA

View Full Version : Three Men In A Boat by Jerome K. Jerome

Scheherazade
12-07-2007, 07:30 PM
Three Men In A Boat by Jerome K. Jerome

If you are looking for a book that will make you laugh without resorting to crudeness or obscenities, Three Men In A Boat is the one book you should definitely give a try.

Three friends decide to take a boating holiday along the Thames; however, from the outset it becomes clear that things will not run smoothly due their inept skills, hypochondriac tendendicies and Montmorency (will leave it to you to discover who that is!).

From the very first page, Jerome, very skillfully and cleverly, integrates a humourous and critical view of everything English and human nature in general with this seemingly simple account of a boat journey. It is almost impossible not to adore the characters; not because they are perfect and all good but, on the contrary, because they are fallible.

Even though it was written over a century ago, this is a book which has not lost its beauty and charm (and I doubt that it ever will).

9/10 KitKats!

papayahed
12-07-2007, 08:31 PM
Great book. It's starts out with the a guy talking about his illnesses and how he thinks every illness he reads about. Reminds me of people I know, even though the book was written quite a while ago.

andave_ya
12-21-2007, 02:23 PM
I LOVED that story!!!! 10/10!!!!!

ClaesGefvenberg
12-22-2007, 11:52 AM
I really liked Three men in a boat. Here is a previous discussion (http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17190) about it and the author.

Great book. It's starts out with the a guy talking about his illnesses and how he thinks every illness he reads about. Reminds me of people I know, even though the book was written quite a while ago.Yeah. That subject will always be current. Don't forget Molière, btw: His The Imaginary Invalid is not half bad either.

/Claes

blazeofglory
10-24-2009, 10:12 AM
The characters in this novel we come across in every walk of life and maybe many of us live like that and want rest or recreation. Of course this book is full of hunours and we become really amused by the book. This is really a great read.