PDA

View Full Version : Alcott's Feminism with the Novel

PanzaFan
12-03-2007, 07:38 PM
I stumbled on this book by accident after my Grandmother pass away. I found an original copy in her book case that belonged to my great great grandmother. While reading it I was interested in the blatant feminism that Rose displayed. I loved the story although the whole thing was a little predictable. I wonder how this book was recieved at the time it was written. I also thought it interesting how Pheobe story played out in the novel. Alcott clearly had modern thoughts concerning woman's role in society but her handling of Pheobe demonstrates the constrain her continued to place on class. Does anyone have anything to add? I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on this subject.

caillion
06-26-2008, 06:49 PM
I've just reread my collection of Alcott's texts and I've been looking for any kind of critique about Phoebe. I find it fascinating that I haven't found anything until now. Phoebe was always one of my favorite characters and it always bothered me the way Alcott treated her. In Eight Cousins, her character seems similiar to Hannah in LW. It is often pointed out that "she took part in the family's joys - like a friend, etc." but yet it's obvious that she will never fully belong. Phoebe crosses farther over in Rose in Bloom but yet even though she's apparantly the 'perfect women' (don't get me wrong, I love her) she still has to revive a dying man before she's accepted by Archie's family. I know class circles were a lot more rigid back then but it's amazing that someone as perceptive as Alcott wouldn't be able to see the injustice of Phoebe's situation. Or maybe she did but she knew her public couldn't handle it? Sorry for going forever, Phoebe's plight has bothered me for a long time! I'd love to hear what anyone else thinks about Phoebe (and other characters like Hannah) in Alcott's novels.

Nightshade
06-26-2008, 07:26 PM
have you read the key and what it opened or an old fahsioned girl?
I think that alcott probably does this on purpose to illustrate how unfair it is really, at least that was my opion anyway.