PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Swift and...?

APEist
12-03-2007, 03:54 PM
Hey guys, I'm writing a paper for class and want to compare Jonathan Swift with another British satirist.

The catch is that whoever the other author is, he/she can't be from the same era of writing as Swift. The other catch is that it needs to be a short story as well, seeing as how I am looking at Swifts shorts at the moment.

I havn't been able to come up with a British satirist that has enough similarities in order to warrant a discussion of the differences.

Anyways, thanks in advance, and any help is appreciated.

Help help help please!

In a rush lol (due to my own procrastination and lack of planning)

Whifflingpin
12-03-2007, 06:53 PM
How about Dickens? I'm thinking of Pickwick, which, of course is not a short story, but you could take a couple of elements from it, e.g. the election or the lawsuit.

APEist
12-03-2007, 07:27 PM
Thanks a lot Whiffling, I'll go look through Pickwick.

Any other recommendations?

blackbird_9
12-03-2007, 09:47 PM
I don't know if Douglas Adams did any shorts, but he'd be something to look into.

quasimodo1
12-03-2007, 11:01 PM
I recommend George Bernard Shaw.

APEist
12-04-2007, 02:35 AM
Thanks for the recommendation, any of Shaw's work in particular?

quasimodo1
12-04-2007, 02:34 PM
To APEist: I think "Heartbreak House" would be an excellent choice but you might need a very short primer of the politics of Shaw's time. It wouldn't take but a few minites and the camparison...satire wise...would be well worth it. quasimodo1

The Atheist
12-04-2007, 05:37 PM
I'd certainly recommend one modern-day author who fits perfectly as a counterpoint to Swift - Tom Sharpe. His satirical novels on South Africa under Apartheid are very much in the mould of A Modest Proposal, while Wilt and Grantchester Grind/Porterhouse Blue are reminiscent of several of the learning institutions attended by Gulliver in his travels.

Nice, easy reads, Tom Sharpe - loads of humour and magnificent characterisations. He'd be an unusual choice, I expect, but a highly appropriate one.

APEist
12-04-2007, 07:05 PM
Amazing help from you guys, thanks so much