PDA

View Full Version : Metaphors

ampoule
12-03-2007, 09:22 AM
Here are some actual analogies and metaphors (ostensibly) found in high school essays. I hope these didn't come from any of my essays. lol
Perhaps you have some to add??

1. Her face was a perfect oval, like a circle that had its two sides gently compressed by a Thigh Master.

2. His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like underpants in a dryer without Cling Free.

3. He spoke with the wisdom that can only come from experience, like a guy who went blind because he looked at a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it and now goes around the country speaking at high schools about the dangers of looking at a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it.

4. She grew on him like she was a colony of E.coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. Must have been one of Prince's students. lol

5. She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up.

6. Her vocabulary was as bad as, like, whatever.

7. He was as tall as a six-foot-three-inch tree.

8. The revelation that his marriage of 30 years had disintegrated because of his wife's infidelity came as a rude shock, like a surcharge at a formerly surcharge-free ATM.

9. The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way a bowling ball wouldn't.

10. McBride fell 12 stories, hitting the pavement like a Hefty bag filled with vegetable soup.

11. From the attic came an unearthly howl. The whole scene had an eerie, surreal quality, like when you're on vacation in another city and Jeopardy comes on at 7:00 p.m. instead of 7:30.

12. Her hair glistened in the rain like a nose hair after a sneeze.

13. The hailstones leaped from the pavement, just like maggots when you fry them in hot grease.

14. Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m at a speed of 34 mph.

15. They lived in a typical suburban neighborhood with picket fences that resembled Nancy Kerrigan's teeth.

16. John and Mary had never met. They were like two hummingbirds who had also never met.

17. He fell for her like his heart was a mob informant and she was the East River.

18. Even in his last years, Grandpappy had a mind like a steel trap, only one that had been left out so long, it had rusted shut.

19. Shots rang out, as shots are wont to do.

20. The plan was simple, like my brother-in-law Phil. But unlike Phil, this plan just might work.

21. The young fighter had a hungry look, the kind you get from not eating for a while.

22. He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck, either but a real duck that was actually lame, maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

23. The ballerina raised gracefully en pointe and extended one slender leg behind her, like a dog at a fire hydrant.

24. It was an American tradition, like fathers chasing kids around with power tools.

25. He was deeply in love. When she spoke, he thought he heard bells, as if she were a garbage truck backing up.

26. Her eyes were like limpid pools, only they had forgotten to put in any pH cleanser.

27. She walked into my office like a centipede with 98 missing legs.

28. It hurt the way your tongue hurts after you accidentally staple it to the wall.

Virgil
12-03-2007, 09:35 AM
Hilarious!!!:lol:

This one is classic!

12. Her hair glistened in the rain like a nose hair after a sneeze.:lol:

And I resemble this one:

18. Even in his last years, Grandpappy had a mind like a steel trap, only one that had been left out so long, it had rusted shut.And I'm not a grandpappy yet. ;)

barbara0207
12-03-2007, 06:26 PM
Yes, absolutely hilarious. I laughed out loud. :lol:

And I resemble this one: "rusted shut"
And I'm not a grandpappy yet. ;)

Fishing for compliments, Virgil? ;) Right, here's one for you: Of course all LitNetters know that your mind is vigorous - alive and kicking, er, perhaps that wasn't a good metaphor, was it? :D

mazHur
12-03-2007, 07:18 PM
Her hair glistened in the rain like vermicelli's dipped in tomato ketchup .
She changed her gait after every step like an amoeba struggling to move on the slide under the microscope.

She was so beautiful that the goddess of Venus showered her love onto her.

She was a fat woman like a pregnant cow.

I hugged and kissed her like a rat who clung to his mate stuck in the trap.

firefangled
12-04-2007, 08:09 AM
These are hilarious!:lol: :lol: They remind me of the voice-over on old Mike Hammer episodes: Yeah, Louie was a slick character, but in this rain I was hoping that would be to my benefit and he would get as much traction as cheap tires.

Thanks for posting these Amp! :)

symphony
12-06-2007, 10:35 PM
She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up. Darn! That'd be me!! :lol:

Bakiryu
12-06-2007, 10:58 PM
It hurt the way your tongue hurts after you accidentally staple it to the wall.

I love this one, specially when it's happened to me :p

MarileeRixon
12-12-2007, 10:33 PM
Those metaphors sound like something I'd read when my teacher asks me to help her edit drafts of kids' assignments! lol
Except I don't think I've ever read any metaphors as intelligent as what those are, even if they weren't intended to be....
I escpecially love the one about the maggots being fried in grease!!

AuntShecky
12-13-2007, 01:40 PM
Wait now, when you use "like" or "as" isn't that a simile?
In the metaphor, there is no conjunction?

Stevie Wonder:
"You are the sun,
You are the rain. . ."

Jerome Kern and Dorothy Fields(?):
"You are the breathless wind of springtime. . ."
("All the Things You Are. . .")

AuntShecky
12-13-2007, 01:43 PM
Here is what I would consider one of the best SIMILES of all time, and it comes from Ring Lardner (Senior):

"He looked at me like a side dish he hadn't ordered."

mazHur
12-13-2007, 01:46 PM
Or, perhaps,

"He looked at me as if I were a side dish he hadn't ordered."

NickAdams
12-13-2007, 02:13 PM
:lol: That is funny like a septic tank being the fountain of youth.

AuntShecky
12-14-2007, 02:05 PM
You know, MazHur, you may be right. Your rendition is grammatically correct. But Lardner often wrote in the vernacular; in fact, the narrator's voice in the epistletory
novel, You Know Me, Al was nearly an illiterate. I'll get back to you on this.

AuntShecky
12-14-2007, 02:08 PM
I looked it up and you are indeed right!
Here's another one from Ring, and I think it's a metaphor.
Sets up an equivalence relationship, anyway:

"An optimist is a girl who mistakes a bulge for a curve.”

mazHur
12-14-2007, 06:47 PM
"An optimist is a girl who mistakes a bulge for a curve.

I think it ought to be

"An optimist is like a girl who mistakes a bulge for a curve.
or

"An optimist is a person who mistakes a bulge for a curve.

because if a male optimist could be said to be a 'girl' then how would you account for the gender of a girl who already happens to be a girl to be termed as an optimist?

AuntShecky
12-16-2007, 03:51 PM
I don't know, Maz, this time I quoted Ring Lardner exactly.

mazHur
12-16-2007, 07:09 PM
I think Lardner may have been tired of churning his 'lard' when he wrote those lines !lol

AuntShecky
12-17-2007, 02:45 PM
The lard was a greasy yellow rock that emitted no hint of
its possible animal origin.

thescholar
12-17-2007, 02:59 PM
"The car races like a well oiled machine."
"The cat springs like its leg is full of muscle."
I figured I'd throw a good one in too, one of the better metaphors I've seen in my day:
"Molly edited her work with a red felt tipped pen and a metaphorical hatchet; leaving evidence of bloody suffering with the former, reducing entire chapters to kindling with the latter."

AuntShecky
12-17-2007, 03:19 PM
Like or As indicate similes. Metaphors just use some form of the verb "to be," explicit or implied.

Pensive
12-18-2007, 06:21 AM
:lol:

Thanks for posting these! :D

mazHur
12-19-2007, 12:38 AM
He felt he woke up like he was never asleep. It felt like his eyes were already open,,,,

B-Mental
12-19-2007, 02:30 AM
aww shucks, some of my best just can't be typed in this forum, but I'll try

He was shaking like a dog "passing" peach seeds.