PDA

View Full Version : VERY SHORT character development story

andave_ya
12-01-2007, 03:04 PM
When the girl walked into the library, muffled in coat and scarves as protection against the winter snow, she went to the old books area. It’s dark and musty, and the carpeted floors muffle any sound. Hanging up her coat, she went to the religious works section. Selecting one, she went to the rosy-colored high-backed chair in the corner and sat down, curling her feet beside her. Putting headphones into her ears, she then settled in for an afternoon of pure enjoyment with her book

She didn’t see the person in the corner, obscured by shadows. She wasn’t especially remarkable looking, decided the stranger, with her mouse-brown hair and short, chubby body. However, the expression on her face – a mix of pure pleasure and determined concentration – showed him that the young miss was a connoisseur of books. “Excuse me,” he said. Startled, she looked up at him. The movement revealed an oval face with small, dark eyes hidden by a pair of glasses.
“I’m sorry.” He said. “I didn’t mean to startle you, but I think you dropped your wallet.” He looked over on the floor where a purple wallet had fallen.
“Oh.” She said. “Thank you. I was a bit…engrossed.”
“I noticed. What are you reading?”
“Rereading, rather. I’m trying a sort of experiment with books and music. I want to see for myself how music affects my emotions while I’m reading. The book is the Bible, and the music is…Well, see for yourself.” Taking the headphones she offered him, he listened to the sad, haunting melody playing.
“You’re a scholar, then.” He said.
“That’s a compliment indeed.” She answered, smiling. “Most people would call me merely pedantic.”
“How about you?” she continued. “You seem to be enjoying the call of books yourself; on such a wintry day most people would stay home and watch TV or something.”
“It’s hard to resist,” he admitted, pulling out a book for himself. He plopped himself into a chair opposite hers. “Sweet reading.”
“And to you,” she said with a smile.