PDA

View Full Version : Teaching Beloved

kratsayra
11-21-2007, 11:42 PM
For some insane reason, I assigned Beloved to my students in my class on mythology. I started reading it, and I already have no idea what I'm going to do. I think the book is a bit too complex for the level of my students. Or rather, the stuff that stands out to me is not stuff that is going to help them (ie, narrative complexity, which I love to look at myself but which I have trouble getting them interested in)

If anyone has read it and has any suggestions for what they would do (in terms of themes, key ideas, etc), especially if they were teaching it to a group of students whose specialty is not literature.

Virgil
11-21-2007, 11:51 PM
It was a long time ago when I read Beloved. I don't see how it even ties in to mythology. There is folklore in the story but mythology?

kratsayra
11-22-2007, 12:00 AM
It was a long time ago when I read Beloved. I don't see how it even ties in to mythology. There is folklore in the story but mythology?

The direct connection is the re-telling of the Margaret Garner story itself and her as a Medea figure.

I haven't finished reading it. But the folklore angle could work really well as we have talked a lot about both myth and folklore in class. Also about oral tradition. My students are probably sick of hearing me talk about oral tradition but oh well! :)

bluelightstar
11-22-2007, 03:18 AM
My AP English students are also reading Beloved right now and of those who have started, they have told me that it's indeed quite a difficult read. One thing that I'm having them do for a test grade is a reading journal for Beloved. The directions follow:

*Write at least two questions, comments, or observations about each chapter in the novel. The chapters in Beloved are not numbered; so I have provided chapter titles as guidelines for you to follow. Your grade on this assignment depends on how much you put into it. We are working towards a better understanding of literature, and this is a tool with which we will discover the novel together. If you do not do this properly, I will know.

1. You might want to address character motivation. Look for reasons behind a character’s statements, actions, or thoughts. You may find the answer in the next sentence, the next chapter, or not at all. If you should discover or realize the answer, write it down.
2. Notice any striking or unusual use of language. Beloved is the perfect book in which to examine language or diction. Morrison’s expression of ideas and descriptions are most unique, and her meaning is often obscured as a result. Questions may arise because of the language that she uses.
3. Prominent details are also prevalent in Beloved. Although you won’t want to question the purpose of every detail, some details can function as important elements in an interpretation.
4. You may also want to point ambiguities surrounding words, phrases, or sentences (can be understood in more than one way – or, perhaps, not at all). Often, the way a word or phrase is used will attract your attention and cause you to consider whether it has special significance.
5. Note any connections that you may find between passages, characters, incidents, or ideas. Discovering meaning in a work depends on understanding the relationships between its parts, however disjointed those parts may seem.

Though they initially were quite upset about having to do the journal, many students have told me that it's forced them to actually pay attention to what's going on in Beloved, because it can be difficult to follow.

kratsayra
11-22-2007, 02:48 PM
Thanks for that bluelight. I will definitely take a cue from you for those questions. Unfortunately, we don't really have the time/room to do the journal thing at this point. But maybe I will do a bit of group work with them in class to look closely at some of the text. I'm always very impressed with what they can do when I force them to really take some time looking at the texts.

Granny5
11-22-2007, 02:50 PM
You could always tell them that this book is the reason they need to continue their education. What age group do you teach?

kratsayra
11-22-2007, 09:43 PM
You could always tell them that this book is the reason they need to continue their education. What age group do you teach?

Oh, I am teaching college kids. I have freshmen through seniors in my class. but very few people who have much background in literature, it's a lower-level course.