PDA

View Full Version : Robertson Davies should be included in the list of authors

Lylith
05-31-2002, 01:06 PM
I was slightly miffed ( -? ) when I looked over the list of available authors and found that Robertson Davies, the excellent author of the Deptford Trilogy, was not among the authors available. I could only concluded that a mistake had been made and so here I am asking anyone else who agrees with me to speak up. Please do if you have anything to say on the matter. Thanks for reading my post, D ,

Lylith

NickAdams
05-14-2007, 12:05 PM
We went through this with Hemingway. By law, this site can only display intellectual properties that reside in public domain. Davies work won’t be eligible for a long time. It sucks.

I started college this past semester; I’m pursuing a degree in psychology. I took Introduction to Psychology, as it is a requirement of the curriculum. My psychology Professor turns out to be a Jungian psychoanalyst.
I spend my lunch hour looking through the dollar cart of a near by book store. Mid semester I come across the Manticore; after reading the synopsis, I buy the book and read it immediately. I’ve never heard of Davies before that. Case of synchronicity? Perhaps.

kathycf
05-14-2007, 03:58 PM
Hmm, hopefully Lylith's question was answered in some other fashion as this thread was posted five years ago. I always wonder if people still haunt the boards if their questions were never answered... Like a ghost that refuses to move on until it's unfinished business is taken care of. :lol:

Davies, huh?

I am also a psychology major but have not heard of him. Davies can always be discussed by starting a thread to do so...Maybe some other members here share an interest in him.

NickAdams
05-14-2007, 04:13 PM
I should pay attention to post dates. :crash:

I recommend the Manticore only for its narrative structure.

kathycf
05-15-2007, 12:20 AM
So, is Davies influenced by Jung? I am curious since you mention your professor is a Jungian. To tell you the truth, I have not read Jung in years. I thought some of his ideas were interesting...about archteypes and such.

It seems like you have mixed feelings about this "Manticore" book and I am curious. Could you elaborate a bit more on why you would only recommend it for narrative structure?

Sorry, not trying to be a pest...only if you feel like it. :nod:

NickAdams
05-15-2007, 01:01 PM
You're no pest. I'm here because I love to discuss literature.

The Manticore is the only work I've read by Davies, so I'm not sure how much he is influenced by Jung.

The Manticore is about a Canadian Lawyer who goes to Munich to see a Jungian psychoanalyst after the death of his father.

The story is broken into three parts. In the first part, the story is told to the psychoanalyst, which in turn tells it to the reader. The second part is a confessional letter written to the analyst. And the third part is a journal he keeps afterwards.

I find this a very organic and refreshing take on the first-person narrative. I only completed the book, because I wanted to see how a Jungian analyst worked. I love Jung's theories, but when applied to a patient, or client if you’re a humanist, it is too leading. I prefer client-based therapy. I’m curious if this is how a real Jungian operates.

I don’t see why there is only Freudian literary criticism and not Jungian.

What year are you in? Have you decided what kind of psychologist you are yet?

kathycf
05-15-2007, 06:47 PM
Jung's theories are interesting, but IMO are somewhat esoteric when applied to a living, breathing person who might come to counseling for say...marital problems. So, I think I can relate to your statement of "client based therapy".

I might have a try at finding the book at the library...provided I ever get there and pay my fine... *blush*

I am close to completing my sophmore year. My time got all mixed up due to fluctuating between part time and full time status...and then taking some time off. I am actually working on a dual major of psychology and sociology with a goal of eventualy attaining a master's degree in social work.

NickAdams
05-17-2007, 10:28 AM
I was thinking about social work, but I decided on Psychiatry and Neurology.
O! The torment of a writer/social worker. All that potential material and you can't write about it. :bawling: