PDA

View Full Version : essay question on love and money

twohearts
11-17-2007, 06:05 AM
hey everyone just looking for a little help in regards to an essay and or essay plan ive got to do. i've read pride and prejudice so many times it's my favourite book, and i'm now at uni, after being out of education for a few years so i'm lacking confidence in my academic ability lol. The question is quite a nice one, but i have a tendency to waffle anyway its to discuss the importance of love and money within the novel, if anyone has any helpful hints on a few paragraphs that would be great.

i've come up with a few ideas, about how it allows austen to reflect the opinions and attitudes of her time, and obviously it's helpful for the plot and with the irony of the opening sentence and all but i d'ont really know where to go from there. and i've checked out pemberly.com, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. many thankx xxx

sciencefan
11-18-2007, 10:10 AM
It seems about half the people in the book struggle with marrying for love vs money! LOL!

Elizabeth proves she will not marry for money (security) when she refuses Mr. Collins - and when she refuses Darcy, for that matter.

I can't recall if it is only in in the movie or in the book as well, I believe Jane intimates that she would marry in order to secure the financial happiness of her family, but thankfully she does not have to do that since she and Bingley love each other. In other words, I believe she would have accepted Mr. Collins' proposal if he had asked her.

more later... sorry

sciencefan
11-18-2007, 03:27 PM
We know that Mr. Bennett married for "love" but ended up being sorry for not being more discriminating concerning Mrs. Bennett's intelligence level.

Lydia married for the social prestige of being a married woman (supposed financial security).

Wickham was a mercenary scoundrel. He tried to trick Georgiana Darcy into marrying him. He would have married an heiress (Miss King) whose income was 10,000 a year, but whose family whisked her out of his presence before it was too late. And ended up being bribed to marry Lydia.

Mr. Collins married because it was the proper thing to do - social reasons.

Charlotte married for financial security.

Darcy and Bingley have the financial freedom to marry for "love".

Colonel Fitzwilliam does not have that priviledge. He must find a bride with money.

I believe Austen shows that Darcy and Elizabeth have the happiest marriage because they are each persons of good character, who are discerning of their fellow man, and who have a similar intelligence level. Darcy's fortune is of little consequence to their happiness. They are happy because they truly like and appreciate each other.