PDA

View Full Version : Literature related to Jane Eyre

Hunnii
11-16-2007, 11:13 PM
I want to do a thorough analysis of a comparison of Jane Eyre to 2 other pieces of literature. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should read and compare Jane Eyre to? I'm striving to find some similarties between the characters in Jane Eyre to characters in other novels, and also some similarities or releveance in themes, symbolism, setting (i.e.:Victorian Era time period), similar plot incidents (i.e. about an orphan, power struggles, becoming governess), etc. I want to find book that I can really go into precise detail as to how it shares similarities to Jane Eyre. Even similar writing techniques (Charlotte Bronte's to other authors or even other novels of hers?); the similarity in tone conveyed through diction, etc. I'm hoping to create an essay or some type of culminating project where I can connect Jane Eyre to other pieces of literature and even use psychological and sociological theories to help support my points. If anyone has any suggestions or tips, I'd really appreciate it.

Woops, I forgot to mention I'd prefer if the pieces of literature I compare Jane Eyre to are also classics, because we're kind of doing a "Classics Unit" and the classics seem to be of greater importance than the more recent novels (even though I don't entirely agree with this).

Dark Muse
11-17-2007, 01:22 AM
Personaly I would recomend reading Lady Audley's Seceret, by Mary Elizabeth Braddon. I wrote a college paper comparing elements of that book to Jane Eyre.

sciencefan
11-17-2007, 10:07 AM
I suggest:
Wuthering Heights (written by Bronte's sister)
The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe
Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

Newcomer
11-17-2007, 02:53 PM
I want to do a thorough analysis of a comparison of Jane Eyre to 2 other pieces of literature..... I'm striving to find some similarties between the characters in Jane Eyre to characters in other novels, and also some similarities or releveance in themes, symbolism, setting

In my opinion Jane Eyre is the alpha and omega of Charlotte Bronte's writing. It is a love story, but not of the girl/boy type but the search for love in it's many guises, societal themes are minor. The only prominent one is Charlotte's views on English Christianity, i.e. Evangelicalism, as portrayed by Brockenhurst and Calvinism of St John and contrasted with the religiosity of Jane, which can be characterized as naturalism. To define this you will have to read Charlotte's correspondence, the contemporary criticism which labeled Jane Eyre as anti-Christian and familiarize yourself with the Evangelical movement on whose basis the sexual and civic views of the Victorians were based.
The novel that thematically and stylistically is most similar, yet different in how philosophically the individual is portrayed, is Tess of D'ubervilles by Hardy. To compare the precise details of prose for descriptions of nature vs. it's emotional impact on the heroine would be an interesting challenge, to say the least. Perhaps too much so as it alone would qualify for a dissertation.
The third novel that I would recommend is Mansfield Park by Jane Austen. It is the most atypical of the conventionally regarded romance themes and the one that has buried details lightly touched upon by Austen, as profound views of the changing social structure and Austen's own conservatism. However much research would be required in Edmund Burke's views on the Revolution in France as contrasted with the English revolution, Humphry Repton's 'improvement's of the English landscape and the endogamous marriage of Fanny and Edmund as contrasted with the romance of Pride and Prejudice or for that matter of Jane and Rochester.
Best of luck with your essay.
Hunnii if you have any specific request, may I suggest using the Private Messages as oposed to the forum since I do not encourage 'homework help'.

littlegirl
12-03-2007, 03:25 PM
I'd say wuthering heights and Rebecca. I'm doing a dissertation on those two and Jane eyre and theres a lot to talk about. eg characterisation, setting, love etc

Amerous
01-16-2008, 03:02 PM
I suggest using Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe, in the book she's an orphan and wants to become a governess plus a variety of other themes in the book that you can compare to Jane Eyre.

sachi
01-22-2008, 10:32 PM
Villette by Charlotte Bronte