PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce "Karamazov?"

Del
08-04-2004, 11:10 PM
As in The Brothers Karamazov...

Is it Kara-mah-zof?

Ivan Karamazov
08-05-2004, 11:58 PM
I suppose I should tackle this one. The only way I feel like I can say this with any shred of authority is because I talked about the book with a guy from the Ukraine once, but he wasn't a very intellectual type. I still think he pronounced it right, though. I mentioned I was reading the book after he said he was from the Ukraine and he says, "Ah, Brotier Karamazov." Before that I said it with the "ma" part as in "mozerella" cheese on my pizza....Kara-MOTZ-ov.

So, I think its KAR-a-MA-zov, but with only a slight emphasis on 'Kar' and 'Ma', so it is pronounced rather flowingly. That's the way it sounded when he said it. I hope that helps.

Informatively,

Ivan.

PS. Are you reading the book?

edit---> PPS. Why is Brothers Karamazov automatically highlighted in red all over this forum?!??!?? That makes no since to me at all :lol: !

edit #2---> I guess it may be something that just shows up on my pc, because of my profile or something like that.

#3---> Ah, I see. I searched for those words.

Koa
08-07-2004, 08:22 AM
I think it's karamAzof, with stress on the second A and Z like s in 'rose'...
At least this is how my Russian Lirerature teacher said it when she mentioned it.
Still havent found the time to read it...

Nemerov
08-17-2004, 03:01 PM
Karamazov

KAraMazov

Ka: pronounced sharply (and short) + stressed
ra: " "
Ma: " " + stressed
Zov: the z is indeed pronounced as the s in 'rose'

Natascha
08-21-2004, 06:59 AM
it's [karamazaf} with the accent on the third syllable:)

it's for sure - Russian is my native language. One of the native - but I always speak this one

and it's being declined in the original - the books is called Bratija Karamazovy;)

that's it.

Wes Duckett
04-11-2008, 03:02 PM
Okay, so it is fairly obvious that my "kuh RAM ah ZOV" was off. Thanks for the enlightenment. I am a pastor of a small church, and I have often felt the need in Bible class to make some reference to The Grand Inquisitor, but I was too timid to tackle the name. Thanks again. I just joined today, and I think I am going to love it here.

Akeldama
04-11-2008, 04:48 PM
I'm friends with the Russian exchange student at my school, and she always tells me how to pronounce things, whether I ask her to or not. She even corrects my English, pssh.

But I forgot how she told me to say Karamazov. I'll have to ask her when Spring Break is over.

I do remember her saying that Gogol was pronounced more like Go-ga-lay, and laughed at me as I tried to say it.

Dori
04-11-2008, 06:53 PM
[kar-uh-mah-zawf, -zof, -maz-awf, -of] (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/brothers%20karamazov,%20the)

(The above link has an audio recording. Click the icon to the right of "Broth·ers Kar·a·maz·ov, The".)

bounty
04-11-2008, 07:10 PM
ive read the above but still think i might be missing something...

the first two syllables: "care-uh" or "car-uh"? if i am understanding nemerov, its the second choice...

Dori
04-11-2008, 07:15 PM
The former, I think. Like the name Tara with a K instead of a T.

Amundsen
11-22-2008, 04:20 PM
Czech is also Slavonian language and similar to Russian. So Ivan Fjodorovič Karamazov. And Bratři Karamazovovi.

bazarov
11-24-2008, 03:51 PM
Czech is also Slavonian language and similar to Russian. So Ivan Fjodorovič Karamazov. And Bratři Karamazovovi.
:D
č is ch in chair; z is like s in rose, else is normal like it's written.

Amundsen
11-26-2008, 05:55 PM
:D
č is ch in chair; z is like s in rose, else is normal like it's written.

Yes, absolutely right

RaoulDuke
06-29-2010, 05:59 PM
Interesting. I had always read it Kara-Mayzov, but I will bow to superior knowledge :D.

revbish
05-06-2015, 01:47 PM
I studied Russian for a year a long time ago and think I have a pretty fair accent but my main trouble is knowing which syllables to stress. So which one gets stressed in "Fyodorovich"?