PDA

View Full Version : Help please

danib1204
11-05-2007, 11:33 PM
1)Lady Catherine embarrasses Darcy by a) praising him b) saying Elizabeth can practice on the pianoforte in the servant's room c) insulting Elizabeth's family

2)Elizabeth thinks that Darcy meets her on her walks around Hunsford a) by accident b) because he likes her c) because it is his favorite place to walk

3) As Darcy is making his first proposal, Elizabeth sees that he expects her to a) refuse b) accept c) cry

4) Lydia seldom listen to anyone a) for as long as they were talking b) at all C) for half a minute

5) When Elizabeth asks her father to refuse to let Lydia go to Brighton, his irresponsible reply is that a) Lydia can expose herself there without inconvenience to the family b) Lydia will be well-behaved c) he will lock Lydia up

6) Before her engagement to Darcy is announced, Elizabeth fears that her family will a) refuse to let her marry b) be unhappy becuase they dislike Darcy c) forget Jane and Bingley

Here are what I think the answers to these questions are. If you think differently or even think they are correct could you please let me know.

1) b
2) b
3) c
4) c
5) c
6) b

cactus
11-06-2007, 05:30 AM
For number 3 I would answer b) accept.

From my understanding Darcy expects Elizabeth to accept because he does not see any reason for her not too. Here is the passage from chapter 34.

"He concluded with representing to her the strength of that attachment which, in spite of all his endeavours, he had found impossible to conquer; and with expressing his hope that it would now be rewarded by her acceptance of his hand. As he said this, she could easily see that he had no doubt of a favourable answer."

sciencefan
11-06-2007, 09:57 AM
1)Lady Catherine embarrasses Darcy by a) praising him b) saying Elizabeth can practice on the pianoforte in the servant's room c) insulting Elizabeth's family...Either this is a trick question or a mistake.

Lady C. did NOT say that Elizabeth could practice in the servant's room. She said Mrs. COLLINS could practice in the servant's room. This indeed did embarrass Mr. Darcy.

"...no excellence in music is to be acquired, without constant practice. I have told Miss Bennet several times, that she will never play really well, unless she practises more; and though Mrs. Collins has no instrument, she is very welcome, as I have often told her, to come to Rosings every day, and play on the piano forte in Mrs. Jenkinson's room. She would be in nobody's way, you know, in that part of the house.''

Mr. Darcy looked a little ashamed of his aunt's ill breeding, and made no answer." ch. 31

danib1204
11-06-2007, 04:44 PM
1)In chapter 4, Elizabeth says Jane is "honestly blind to the follies and nonsense of others." Explain the irony of this statement in light of Elizabeth's view of Darcy and Wickham at the beginning of the novel.

To my understanding Elizabeth didn't like Darcy in the beginning of the novel and she was fond of Wickham. By this she was blind that it was really the opposite that she should be feeling because Wickham had helped Elizabeth's feelings dislike Darcy. He would make Elizabeth feel bad that Darcy had treated Wickham so poorly after Darcy's dad's death. If this is correct would this help me with my explanation?

2) After Lydia interrupts Collins's reading of Fordyce's Sermons[I], Collins says he, "should never resent her behavior as any affront"

A)Compare this to what he writes after Lydia elopes.

B) According to the letter Collins writes after Lydia is married, how does he believe her father should treat her?

3)In what way are the characters Mrs. Bennet and Lady Catherine alike? Give an example of how they act simliarly.

My response to this would be they both are strict mean people. is that right?

4) In the course of the novel, Elizabeth receives proposals of marriage from both Collins and Darcy.

A) How does each proposal reflect the pride of the man proposing?
Would a good answer for this be that Elizabeth is an intimidating person to talk to therefore because the men have enough courage to ask her to marry them they have pride in themselves?

B) Give one example of how these proposals show differences in the personalities of the two characters.

5) At Mrs. Philips's card party, Wickham tells Elizabeth that he " can never defy or expose" Darcy, even though he had just been criticizing him severely.
A) When Elizabeth first mentions Wickham to Darcy while they are dancing, how does Darcy respond?
B) How does his behavior compare to Wickham's?

6) Give two functions of the secondary character Colonel Fitzwilliam.

Newcomer
11-06-2007, 05:45 PM
This is idiotic, people!
The questions that danib1204 is posing are an assignment given by her teacher to make her think. To learn how to analyze literature.
By complying with her questions, you are undermining the teacher's intent and certainly not helping the student.

danib1204
11-06-2007, 09:43 PM
Thanks for your input but I don't have a teacher for this class!

sciencefan
11-07-2007, 09:38 AM
1)Lady Catherine embarrasses Darcy by a) praising him b) saying Elizabeth can practice on the pianoforte in the servant's room c) insulting Elizabeth's familyb) is not the correct answer because of the reason I stated in my previous post
It must be c because I don't believe it is a

2)Elizabeth thinks that Darcy meets her on her walks around Hunsford a) by accident b) because he likes her c) because it is his favorite place to walkcorrect

3) As Darcy is making his first proposal, Elizabeth sees that he expects her to a) refuse b) accept c) crythe poster is correct - obviously - b

4) Lydia seldom listen to anyone a) for as long as they were talking b) at all C) for half a minutecorrect
ch 39 - But of this answer Lydia heard not a word. She seldom listened to any body for more than half a minute, and never attended to Mary at all.

5) When Elizabeth asks her father to refuse to let Lydia go to Brighton, his irresponsible reply is that a) Lydia can expose herself there without inconvenience to the family b) Lydia will be well-behaved c) he will lock Lydia upch 41 - ``Lydia will never be easy till she has exposed herself in some public place or other, and we can never expect her to do it with so little expense or inconvenience to her family as under the present circumstances.''

6) Before her engagement to Darcy is announced, Elizabeth fears that her family will a) refuse to let her marry b) be unhappy becuase they dislike Darcy c) forget Jane and Bingleycorrect

Here are what I think the answers to these questions are. If you think differently or even think they are correct could you please let me know.

1) b
2) b
3) c
4) c
5) c
6) b