PDA

View Full Version : utopia/distopia?

bernard
11-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Hallo
The book is a dystopien novel
but need 2 arguments why it is so!
i have some ideas and i would like to discuss, and find 2 perfect arguments for my presentation on friday!
My ideas:
This book is a dystopien novel since it divides mankind into 2 parts who are enemies. One part who used to be the ruling one, and athieved perfection. This perfection made them happy,but it stopped there advance and made them weak. The other part are the ones who were sklaves and are still working on the mashines, they are less happy but for that they have the strength and they are carnivorous, they now are the rulers. It is a war between the 2 kinds of men.
this is an idea why it is a dystopien novel! Plz correct me if iam wrong and help me to find further arguments!
Thank you!

Otterpops
08-13-2008, 01:41 AM
Hallo
The book is a dystopien novel
but need 2 arguments why it is so!
i have some ideas and i would like to discuss, and find 2 perfect arguments for my presentation on friday!
My ideas:
This book is a dystopien novel since it divides mankind into 2 parts who are enemies. One part who used to be the ruling one, and athieved perfection. This perfection made them happy,but it stopped there advance and made them weak. The other part are the ones who were sklaves and are still working on the mashines, they are less happy but for that they have the strength and they are carnivorous, they now are the rulers. It is a war between the 2 kinds of men.
this is an idea why it is a dystopien novel! Plz correct me if iam wrong and help me to find further arguments!
Thank you!

The Morlocks and Eloi are not enemies, any more than humans and cattle are enemies. The relationship of the two classes/species has completely changed from what the Time Traveller surmises existed to that of shepherd/sheep.

It IS dystopian, though. It begins by making the Eloi seem utopian, but then introduces a horrific twist, making the REASON for their ease the disturbing/dystopian part.

And no one said the Morlocks were unhappy. They were adapted to their toil, and their environment. And they probably had more of a concept of what it was like to be happy or unhappy to begin with. The fact that they retained more intelligence and more physicality than the Eloi is pretty explicitly an argument that hardship is beneficial. The Eloi's dystopia (and really, the Morlocks...I don't think you could claim their way of life was really either dystopian OR utopian) developed BECAUSE they had achieved utopia.

The book as a whole is dystopian because the Time Traveler (despite IMO having more in common with the Morlocks) sympathizes with the Eloi, for whom it is dystopia.