PDA

View Full Version : MacBeth!!!

chipster
11-01-2007, 08:13 PM
I have to do an essay on MacBeth and what event marks the turning point in his life and why the character changes as a result of this turning point.

_S_T_
11-26-2007, 03:26 PM
1)i think his character changes when he becomes thane of cawdor shortly after hearing the prophecies made by the witches in act1 , scene 3; that probably makes him believe he could be king without really acting so that fate will do it for him.
2)but then his wife persuades him to kill duncan and at that point macbeth is starting to act wihtout really thinking about his actions.
3)his character changes again in the banquet scene when banquo's ghost appears and only he seems to notice it-->he is afraid that someone could find out what deeds he has done
4)and finally his character changes while the witches make the last prophecies concerning him which cause him to believe he is invincible

i hope this could help you at least a little bit

Redzeppelin
11-29-2007, 11:15 PM
All of Shakespeare's tragedies are about character change. Generally, the plays are structured like this:

Act 1 - character faces conflict of some sort
Act 2 - character makes irreversible decision
Act 3 - climax: character's fortunes take a 180 degree turn for the worst
Act 4 - character's fortunes worsen - the darkest hour for the tragic hero
Act 5 - catastrophe: hero's death in the struggle to defeat evil and restore justice.

I believe one of the most significant changes occurs during act 5. Shakespeare must somehow redeem his hero from the woman/child killer of act 4. Not everybody agrees Shakespeare pulls this change off. I, however, do.

hellsapoppin
11-29-2007, 11:50 PM
I have to do an essay on MacBeth and what event marks the turning point in his life and why the character changes as a result of this turning point.

I always thought that the turning point was in Act I, Scene III.

MacBeth and Banquo were given a prophecy from the three demonic witches and the outlook seemed improbable. MacBeth as Thane of Cawdor? Impossible as he thought that Cawdor was a fine ''gentleman''. But it turned out that he was a traitor and the title was handed to him when he learned this from Ross the messenger. It was then that MacBeth became engrossed in the horrible thoughts that were to stimulate his evil actions:

Cannot be ill, cannot be good: if ill,
Why hath it given me earnest of success,
Commencing in a truth? I am thane of Cawdor:
If good, why do I yield to that suggestion
Whose horrid image doth unfix my hair
And make my seated heart knock at my ribs,
Against the use of nature? Present fears
Are less than horrible imaginings:
My thought, whose murder yet is but fantastical,
Shakes so my single state of man that function
Is smother'd in surmise, and nothing is
But what is not.

Thus, thoughts about committing regicide came into his head almost immediately after the witches' prophecies. This despite his loyal service and personal sacrifices on behalf of the king. Therefore, it appears to me that it was the evil prophecies that brought on MacBeth's terrible character changes.