PDA

View Full Version : American Gods by Neil Gaiman

papayahed
10-27-2007, 06:22 PM
The premise is that the gods from past religions are still around living in the modern world. The new gods (technology, gars, etc..) are trying to get rid of the old gods. The book culminates with a battle between the old and the new. It's a prety interesting book, a little slow in some parts and not enough explanation in others (like why the new are trying to kill off the old) but overall worth the read.

8/10

JBI
10-27-2007, 09:05 PM
Boring, poorly written. 2/10

PeterL
06-25-2008, 11:21 AM
If Gaiman had cut it down to two hundred pages, it might have been good. The fundamental plot was OK; the characters were fairly good, although he made a few mistakes on the Russian Gods. I would have eenjoyed it, if there hadn't been as much filler. There was one section of about two hundred pages that has nothing to do with the story; I kept wondering where it was going, then that section ended, and the story resumed.

Mutatis-Mutandis
02-04-2012, 10:31 PM
I'm not sure I agree with that, PeterL. To me, the novel was more picaresque than having a single narrative. Story wise, I thought it was incredibly original and well written (not sure how anyone can think it so poorly written to give it a 2).

My main problem was the main character's attitudes about everything that was happening to him. I just didn't buy the go-with-the-flow attitude.