PDA

View Full Version : Jane Eyre, the character.

Albus Dumbledore
10-24-2007, 02:54 PM

sciencefan
10-25-2007, 06:59 AM
Could someone please help me analyse the character Jane Eyre? What is she like?Did you read the book?
Is this a homework assignment?
When is it due?

Albus Dumbledore
10-27-2007, 04:25 PM
Yes. I have read the book, but I always find it very difficult to analyse characters. Anyways, I would decribe her as a passionate and independent woman ahead of her time. She has a very strong belief in herself and what she stands for. In a way she's like a herione for women during the victorian age. Does anyone agree?

Would you say that she's an easy character to understand, to grasp? Or is she contradictory?

Albus Dumbledore
10-28-2007, 07:41 AM

Albus Dumbledore
10-28-2007, 09:53 AM

sciencefan
10-29-2007, 09:09 AM
I don't know why no one has jumped in to respond to you. I'm afraid I have not read Jane Eyre recently, so I won't be of much help.

Yes. I have read the book, but I always find it very difficult to analyse characters. Anyways, I would decribe her as a passionate and independent woman ahead of her time. She has a very strong belief in herself and what she stands for. In a way she's like a herione for women during the victorian age. Does anyone agree?

Would you say that she's an easy character to understand, to grasp? Or is she contradictory?I agree with you. She knew what she stood for. She knew what was right and what was wrong.

I did not find her contradictory.

Character Analysis
http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/janeeyre/canalysis.html
More Character Analysis
http://www.gradesaver.com/classicnotes/titles/janeeyre/charlist.html

why did Jane leave Mr Rochester?Jane left Mr. R because he wanted her to do something that was immoral - be his mistress. While we can feel sorry for Mr. R's predicament - being saddled with an insane woman - we cannot tolerate him trying to rewrite the laws of the land and the laws of God for his own convenience. He would have committed Bigamy if the wedding hadn't been interrupted. He would have made Jane an adulteress in God's eyes. He was willing to do this for his own selfish pleasure. As I said, one can certainly understnd how he could have arrived at such a point of desperation. He defrauded Jane by offering himself to her as a suitor and husband when in fact, he was not free to do so.

Jane loved Mr. R but when she found out he was a married man, a relationship with him was not an option. In order to avoid any further wrong or temptation, she fled.

Would you say that there are many things one can identify with in this novel although it was written so long time ago?Jane Eyre is full of realistic human feelings that most people can relate to.

Sofia102
11-07-2007, 03:37 AM
here's an idea:

think about the book yourself and don't ask other people to do your homework!

sanyamasood
11-18-2007, 07:26 AM
Jane has many sides to her character because Charlotte Bronte has portrayed her as a well rounded human being. Jane is mainly seen as a feisty and passionate girl, because she is not afraid to stand up for herself even as a child. For example, when with Helen Burn, the difference in their personalities surface. Jane finds it extraordinary that Helen won't stand up for herself and takes punishment without showing any emotion. Jane even says that she would not be able to control herself in that fashion.
The adult Jane, is innocent and this is due to her sheltered lifestyle( she has grown up in a girls school, Lowood) and when she meets Mr Rochester there is a wonderful contrast between naive and innocent Jane and the experienced Mr Rochester.
Jane is also prone to running away with her imagination, as has been her tendency since childhood. For example, in her first meeting with Rochester, she immediately assumes that the dog (Pilot) on the lonesome and misty road, is the legendary Gytrash.
Jane also has a lot of pride in herself. She decides to leave the man she loves in a flight of passion after realising that she cannot reamain a Thornfield as his mistress, because she has pride and self worth, not to mention a lot of dignity. This act also takes a lot of strength and will power.
Despite her tough and early feminist exterior, she is a bit of a romantic deep down because she tries fervently to persude St John to marry Rosamund. St John proposes to Jane but she refuses despite his good looks and excellent reputation, because he would never love her.

I hope that helps...:)

sanyamasood
11-18-2007, 07:30 AM
in many respects, Jane Eyre is a very realistic novel because it portrays a lot of REAL human emotions. I think women can especially relate to Jane because of the decisions she makes and her feminist attitude. Jane is an early example of women wanting equality between the sexes. She is also facing a lot of moral issues which are relevant to todays society, although we are perhaps not as moral as people were back then

sanyamasood
11-18-2007, 07:31 AM
i completely agree sciencefan

Billie_Bumble
11-18-2007, 05:55 PM
[QUOTE=sanyamasood;481261] For example, when with Helen Burn, the difference in their personalities surface. Jane finds it extraordinary that Helen won't stand up for herself and takes punishment without showing any emotion. Jane even says that she would not be able to control herself in that fashion.

Ah, but Jane did learn something from the attitude of Helen Burns. Helen had a passive response to her punishments and didn't take them personally, something which Jane came to respect and emulate.