PDA

View Full Version : significant issues in henry the IV part one

Kelsey22
10-24-2007, 12:18 PM
I was wondering if anyone would have any ideas about the significant issues in this play.

Kelsey22
11-01-2007, 11:07 AM
I came up with honor and trust being two significant issues in Henry IV part I. Any other ideas anyone?

Also what evidence have you found that Shakespeare sees Prince Hal as a crafty exploiter of Falstaff and Englishmen in general?

What evidence is there that Shakespeare is preparing Hal to become the future model King Henry?

What does Shakespeare accomplish by adding humor to the play?

Why have several lines from the play become famous??

Any input is helpful, Thanks

Kelsey22
11-14-2007, 12:41 PM
It has been brought to my attention that my posts seem like I am wanting my homework done for me. I just want to let other users know that I am not wanting my homework done for me! I am a home schooled student and I am just trying to get a discussion going on some of the questions I am given to think about and analyzie after each play. I have my own opinion and would just like to hear someone elses opinion and hopefully be able to have a meaningful discussion that allows us all to think about what Shakespeare wanted his audience to learn. I am also looking to enrich my learning experience while studing Shakespeare. So if anyone would like to reply I will post again so we can start a discussion, as you will bounce ideas off eachother.

Kelsey22
11-14-2007, 05:40 PM
Here is what i have been able to come up with
Honor and trust, in my opinion, are the two most significant issues Shakespeare is asking his audience to wrestle with. Trust is significant because the breach in trust is what began the wars to begin with.Trust is significant between many of the characters in this play. trust is why a war must be fought rather than a simple comprimise. Trust is relevent today because we need to feel lie we can trust our leaders (mostly politicians today which, we know can't be trusted). Today citizens of whatever country need to feel like they can put their trust in the leaders. Considering the situation in the U.S. right now we see how significant trust really is, especially in today's world, with all the technology and other modern warfare techniques (WMD's, biochemical threats). Any one find any issues they feel are more significant in Henry IV, part I??

I think Shakespeare wants us to see Hal as a crafty exploiter. Act 2.4 has the most evidence of Hal's craftiness. We see how Hal creates humor by twisting the words of commoners. Hal makes puns at almost everything Falstaff says and Falstaff is obviously there as Hal's jester, his entertainment.
Anyone have other evidence/ ideas about why Shakespeare wants the audience to see Hal as an exploiter??

The evidence I have found that Shakespeare is preparing Hal to be recieved as the model future king Henry is the drastic shift in Hal's attitude throughout the play. He is playful, childish, and likes to waste his time with his group of misfit robber friends. Hal then says that was his plan all along: he wanted to lower peoples expectaions of him. By the end of the play Hal has gone through a major transformation, he has shown courage and bravery, and he has won the love of his father. Any other opinions??

I think Shakespeare added humor to the play to entertain the audience while trying to get them to understand and think about other very serious issues of the time which many of are still relevent today. Any other ideas why Shakespeare adds humor to his play?? I know why in the tradgedies (to bring light into an otherwise somber play)

I didn't realize any lines from this paly are famous. So i obiously have no idea why they have become famous. Why?? Ideas anyone

byquist
02-26-2008, 12:01 AM
There's the issue of the military guy, Talbot. Some people have suggested that the play should be entitled by his name instead of HVI,I. One interesting thing is the way that Joan of Arc uses her magic to stop him from sword fighting, at least I sort of remember that. She has power. Then there's the scene where he's gallant towards a lady, who attempts to betray him, but he has his own guys protecting him. And, knowing her fraudulence, he does not take revenge or show unkindness towards her, a total gentleman. Then one of the greatest moments is when he tells his son to go home, because the battle is dangerous, and one Talbot should remain alive. The tragic scene is when he is wounded and dying, searching for his son on the battle field and finds him. He curses "Death," and claims that death is not the victor either over his son or himself, as he dies. That monologue is extremely powerful, and can stop the play in its tracks, it is so painfully touching.

byquist
02-26-2008, 12:07 AM
Oops, thought it was HVI site. Well, one of the major points is when Falstaff discusses the meaninglessness of warfare, ego, and trying to destroy a foe. It's in a monologue towards the end on the battle field; that there is no honor in such success. I suppose that might be considered a prime existential question -- as to the meaning and purpose of an action vs. its meaninglessness or emptiness.

He determines that warring is meaningless, and therefore falls down and plays dead in order to live.

SammyD20
12-01-2008, 07:35 PM
What are the social and personal issues in King Henry IV (part 1) and the techniques Shakespeare uses